News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

QUESTIONS

Started by Mike0710, August 20, 2007, 01:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike0710

New-b

I just purchaced a Durango & Silverton - Freight train set from Hobby lobby -large scale in hopes to use it as a garden train,  i noticed the track was for inside use only. 

Can this set be used outside as a garden train,  do i need to buy a differnt type of track ?

I'm missing the CD and instruction booklet as well

Nathan

You will need to use track from any of a number of places such as LGB, Aristo-Craft, H&R, or others.  The train will work fine.  You do need to watch the track joints, they are the place the locomotive will derail.  Also, use larger radius track, LGB R3 or Aristo 4 FT or larger, the train will look better and run better.

Make sure that you have good electrical conections.  If the layout is large it will not hurt to run feeder wires to several places.  Keep your grades to less then 2% and watch your clearance to bushes and trees.

tac

Dear Mr Mike0710 - Yes, you will need to buy suitable track to run outdoors.  Being charitable, it is true to say that the steel track made by Bachmann is eminently suited to running around the christmas tree, but little else.

As Nathan has pointed out - these makers will serve you well, with the provisos that he has noted...

Your train, with care and attention, will give you many years of outdoor enjoyment, as those of us who have them will tell you.  Read this website on a daily basis, and get yourself on mylargescale.com as well.  Between them they have most questions you could ever ask well-tied up.  The wealth of knowledge here and there is a constant source of information and advice - most of it useful!  ;)  

And welcome to the wonderful world of large-scale trains!! ;D

tac in UK
www.ovgrs.org  

altterrain

Mike,

As said above, you'll need some better track to run outdoors. AristoCraft, USA Trains and LGB (not currently in production) being the primary suppliers of brass track. Aristo also make nice stainless steel track (pros and cons to each so do your homework!). As Nathan stated bigger diameter is better. Bachmann track is only 4 foot diameter. LGB R3 (about 8'diameter) or others sold by diameter (I think Nathan was referring to 4' radius above). You will probably need to invest in a beefier power supply too (3 amps or better).

-Brian
President of

foureyes

The  others are correct.  Yes on the track, yes on the set.

Don't overlook aluminum rail.  It bends easily (only comes in five or six foot sections as far as I know), requires fewer joints.  Has small size so looks better than big brass.  Conducts electricity very well.  Some houses are wired with it, as are some aircraft. Does corrode and the rust is not conductive.  But cleans off easily with a scotch-brite type pad on a stick.