News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound In Heavy Mountain

Started by Showsp, March 24, 2013, 11:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Showsp

Just bought my second Spec Backmann steam engine. This one is a  Heavy Mountain.  I want to add sound to it.  It comes with a Vandy tender.  I could use the soundtraxx 750 or the digtrax SDN144PS.  Being retired and on a fixed income i have to watch my funds given the cost diff between the two.   However I will listen to advice from folks who have done this before.  Open to suggestions.

By the way will a vandy tender for a H4 2-6-6-2 work with the light mountain or the heavy?

sumfred

I have both installed in my 2 heavy mountains.
The Tsunami does give you a better sound, but at $60 more it should.
I got hold of a Digitrax PR3 Controller and am now able to program different sound files into the SDN144.
You however need a computer to work the PR3 controller.
If you only have a couple of sound decoders it is probably not worth the extra money for the controller but the different sound files available from Digitrax makes the original sound file on the SDN144 seem very poor.
Fred

Showsp

Thanks for the reply.  I have access to a computer (laptop) and could program  (IT person in a former life) I have read that the Vandy tender is tight but from what I have read  either will fit.   $60 is a lot of money these days. 

sumfred

the Digitrax decoder is a little narrower than the Soundtrax so the installation is easier. It also comes with a speaker.  The Soundtrax needs a separate bought speaker.
The Digitrax decoder & the controller is about equal in price to the Soundtrax and speaker.
I have no regrets to getting the controller and equipping most of my engines with Digitrax decoders.

Fred

Showsp

Fred you are making the digitrax sound better and better.   

sumfred

Digitrax at the moment has 10 steam sound files one can download.
Fred

skipgear

There are a lot more sound files available than what is listed on the Digitrax site. There are some very dedicated individuals working in the "Digitrax sound" yahoo group that have been cranking out at least one or two new files a week. The latest have been sound projects to simulate an mallet loco with the engines going in and out of sync. In tha past few months, the posibility of the Digitrax decoders have really been unlocked.

That said, their BEMF still has issues so it is best to run without it and this makes it very hard if not impossible to get chuffs to sync with the drivers across the throttle range.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

sumfred

thanks for info on the digitrax sound group, Skipgear.
Was not aware of its existence.
Fred

Showsp

So far it has all been digitraxx.    I went out and joined the yahoo group.  Lots of things there to read and learn.  Thanks for the pointer to this group.   Still thinking about what direction to go.   You guys are the best.

richg

Quote from: Showsp on March 25, 2013, 08:43:24 PM
So far it has all been digitraxx.    I went out and joined the yahoo group.  Lots of things there to read and learn.  Thanks for the pointer to this group.   Still thinking about what direction to go.   You guys are the best.

Many seem to be reluctant to leave a forum and see what other info is out there. Good job.

There are other DCC groups for other DCC products but run all by an individual, not the company.
There is even a Bachmann DCC group but not very active. Not many are aware of it's existence.

Rich