News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation

Started by Cliff, September 04, 2007, 05:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff

I have two new DCC fitted n gauge 2-8-0 engines.    My problem is that the front bogie wheels are so light that the jump the tracks at each set of points (not sure the American name for points I think possibly "Turnout).   The engines run fine in reverse though after a time the bogies are off the track.   
Does anyone else have this problem and what action should I take to keep the bogies on the track.   They are two pretty engines and it is a pity I cannot use them.   Any help appreciated.

Cascade Northern

I got the same problem with my Bach 4-4-0.  I am going to try to add some weight to it, as soon as I get some time.  But, I think :-\ that could be the problem.

taz-of-boyds

The moving rails on a turnout here are the points, the crossing section in the middle is the frog.  (any other terms I would have to look up for now...)

This seems a little like a dumb question, but have you checked the gauge of the wheels in question?

Have fun,
Charles

Cliff

Thanks for the replies.   The gauge of the front two bogies is the same as the others, it is just that they are so loose that they bounce over the points instead of guiding the engine through.   Often the bogies go one way while the rest of the engine tries to go the other with the obvious consequences.

I bought five wagons to match the engines and they also seem unstable due to the lightness of the models.   It is easy to place weights into the open wagons but more difficult with tankers etc.

taz-of-boyds

Cliff,

If the problem is just at the tip of the points, check to see if the point blends smoothly with the fixed rail.  If this is not fitted smoothly it can catch the wheels and maybe the lighter wheel sets are more susceptible to being lifted up and sent in the wrong direction.  Filing the point tip to blend smoothly may help.

Have fun,
Charles