News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc diesel

Started by zachs trains, March 24, 2013, 12:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachs trains

just purchased a bachmann csx4406 item#60704, this is equipped dcc, which sound card will work with this model

richg

Check the decoder selector page at the SoundTraxx site. You want a sound decoder, not a sound card. Rip out the present decoder.
This will not be plug and play.
Decoder and speaker from the SoundTraxx site in case you do not look.
EMD GP35, DCC Equipped    TSU-AT1000 EMD 567 Turbo   828039   810113

All kinds of Tsunami info below. Check out the complete site.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

Rich

jward

this is not going to be an easy sound install. it will require a complete disassembly or the locomotive, and a milling of the frame halves to provide a place for a speaker.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

zachs trains

Thanks guys!

I think I will take it to the hobby store, have them help

jward

that will be very expensive, much more than you paid for the locomotive in the first place. best bet is to buy a sound equipped locomotive, it will be cheaper than having someone else do an install for you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy

The GP30 and GP35 frames look the same. I installed a sound decoder in my DCC on Board GP30. I did take the frame apart to mill an area for the keep alive cap. I put a .63" speaker and baffle in the rear of the frame where the step is. I'll try and do photo's this week end if you want and post them. Joe

richg

You can sometimes mill a frame using a bench mounted belt sander. Keep a bowl of cold water nearby.
I have done a couple, not Bachmann, this way and finally found a nice bench mounted four inch diameter rotary sander. The paper I use is sticky back type and I used I think, 80 grit.
Some, maybe a Dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel. I did that with two 44 tonners.

Rich

bapguy

Search gp7 sound install by bapguy. I milled the top of the frame to  install a Tsunami 828020 decoder. This one has the keep alive caps built in. To mill the frame on my GP30 I disasmbled the frame and put the frame back together. I put the frame in a vice between 2 pieces of pine 1X4's. I drill a hole in each frame half at the rear of the frame above the flywheel. I started with a small bit and worked up to a bit slightly smaller than the width of the frame halves. I then took my moto tool with a re inforced cut off disc to join the holes. This formed a rectagle slot across the frame. I reassembled the frame. I put a piece of plastic the size of the decoder of top of the frame. I drillse a small hole for the motor wires to come through. The decoder goes on top of the plastic. This isolates the decoder. The keeep alive cap goes in the slot in the frame. The speaker(.63") goes on the step in the frame at the rear of the loco. Use 1K ohm resiters for the LED's if you use Soundtraxx decoder #  828039. This is pretty easy to do.  Joe