News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Engine Identification

Started by Model Tug, March 24, 2013, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Tug

I have a Bachmann Large Scale 4-6-0 Baltimore & Ohio "Royal Blue Lines" #1332
I need to know the Bachmann part number so that I may order a new power chassis.
Anyone have that number?

Thanks,   Rod

Barry BBT

Rod,

You don't need the number.  What you want is the latest drive (for a Royal Blue) that you can get.  In Bachmann's scheme of things as time passed the drives have gotten better.

The only drive to avoid (with the cylinders) is the Tenth Anniversary (Annie) model, there is some interference with the air tanks and the cylinders.  (see below)

Basically, the drive units will accept any Boiler/Cab combination.  And there are always variations to consider.

Early drives had the simple "Stepenson" valve gear and the complicated "Fancy" valve gear.  Both are all plastic.  Tenth Annie drives have a Stephenson valve gear and a true Walschearts valve gear.  The Annie valve gear does not transfer well to the earlier chassis (also requires the larger cylinders).

Barry 
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Rod, That loco was in set 90016 The Royal Blue.  The Chassis on sale in the parts section are all the Version 5 chassis which is great.  The more expensive chassis are the Anniversary chassis with the metal side rods. 

The problem you face is that there doesn't seem to be one on sale for the royal Blue.  You could buy any of the chassis they sell that are for a coal burner, which will have the short pilot rather than the longer pilot on the wood-burner version.  You would have to paint the steam chests and wheel centers blue your self.
Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Bill,

I'm sure you meant to say 'cow catcher' and not 'pilot', as the pilots are the same on both versions.

Barry BBT

Aren't the cowcatchers interchangeable?

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Joe Zullo

Yes the cowcatchers are interchangeable.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Joe Zullo on March 26, 2013, 07:35:47 PM
Bill,

I'm sure you meant to say 'cow catcher' and not 'pilot', as the pilots are the same on both versions.
"cow catcher" is slang, pilot is the real name for this device.
(maybe the pilot trucks are the same length?)

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi all.  They are definitely interchangeable so Rod could take the pilot from his Royal Blue Loco and attach it to which ever chassis he buys, but he will still have to paint the steam chests and and wheel centers the blue color. I apologize for not picking up on that, but I was tired and not well and missed it.

There are two different size pilots or cowcatchers. the long and the short.

In the end I also believe it is better for Rod to get the chassis with the short pilot  It may be that the steam chests are interchangeable as well.   If they are, great!  my recommendation is to get the chassis noted below, it has the Stephenson valve gear like the Royal Blue 4-6-0, and the cow catcher/pilot is the short one and the steam chests are the same. It also has the version 5 chassis.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=4087    It will allow the best chance of not having a problem making the exchange.

Best of luck Rod, with your project and sorry if using "pilot" instead of cow catcher confused anyone!

Joe, I most often use pilot. On steam locomotives with a front truck  the truck was known as the pilot truck, Steam switchers had a pilot beam and steps, but larger road locomotives had a pilot attached to their pilot beam. Most eastern and southeastern railroaders called the so called cowcatcher a pilot, while western lines had a tendency to use cowcatcher.  In the railroad shops they were officially known as pilots, and are called pilots on railroad drawings.  Cow catcher was a slang term used in the very early days.  

So basically pilot and cowcatcher are interchangeable words and mean the same thing, just like the short ones and long ones on our models are interchangeable ;D.  

check this link out for fun:  The "pilot" on the John Bull is something else!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_%28locomotive%29

Here is another definition.

http://modeltrains.about.com/od/glossary/g/pilot.htm

I have seen a definition of a locomotive pilot as the device in front of the pilot truck designed to deflect obstacles on the track often called in the earlier days of railroading a "cowcatcher"  ::). I believe this was in an old Trains Magazine.

Again sorry if I caused any confusion!!

Have fun.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Model Tug

Thank You to all that replied. We have ordered two CH90035. The $30 per unit is an excellent price.

Our Garden RR group has six Bachmann 4-6-0 engines. That chassis will repair the "Royal Blue' and give us
a spare for future use.
The "Royal Blue" is used by grandchildren and has seen some rough use. Now we will be able to return that engine
to service.
I don't believe that the children will care that the lower chassis is black instead of blue.We will see how it looks when it is back together

Thank you again.
Rod

Joe Zullo

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on March 26, 2013, 11:26:04 PM

Joe, I most often use pilot. On steam locomotives with a front truck  the truck was known as the pilot truck, Steam switchers had a pilot beam and steps, but larger road locomotives had a pilot attached to their pilot beam. Most eastern and southeastern railroaders called the so called cowcatcher a pilot, while western lines had a tendency to use cowcatcher.  In the railroad shops they were officially known as pilots, and are called pilots on railroad drawings.  Cow catcher was a slang term used in the very early days.  

So basically pilot and cowcatcher are interchangeable words and mean the same thing, just like the short ones and long ones on our models are interchangeable ;D.  

I have seen a definition of a locomotive pilot as the device in front of the pilot truck designed to deflect obstacles on the track often called in the earlier days of railroading a "cowcatcher"  ::). I believe this was in an old Trains Magazine.

Again sorry if I caused any confusion!!

Have fun.

Bill

Bill,

Not to argue the point, but Bachmann refers to this part as a cowcatcher in their estore listings....

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_580&products_id=5244