A question about running an engine in the rain

Started by merlin2662, March 25, 2013, 09:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlin2662

Having bought a baldwin 2662t to build a logging rr, I am concerned about rain or water from a sprinkler getting into the internals and onto the electronics of my engine.
The cover ( top part of the boiler ) only lays of the boiler.
Offering no seal of any kind from the elements.
So far I haven't run the engine outside (not having a track yet).
Being new to the hobby, I maybe falsely assumed that garden RR's engines would be impervious to rain or lawn sprinklers.
Any advice how to water proof the 266t ? Or are these engine not meant to run in inclement weather?
Thanks for any input.

VirginiaCentral

Hi Merlin, most people do not leave their locomotives outside.  While your brass track and plastic buildings may remain outdoors, it is best to bring in your cars, locomotives, and power supplies.

Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, Va.
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Chuck N

The original LGB engines (ca 1980) could be left out.  They were for the most part dust and water resistant.  Once they, and everyone else started adding circuit boards and other electronic systems, water and engines didn't mix. I had to replace an LGB sound system after it was left under the sprinkler one too many times.  As was said earlier, track and buildings can be left out,  I bring my rolling stock in, whether natural or man caused water is coming.  

Chuck

If its a light rain most cars can be left out.  Some wheels will rust, some will not. I look on that as natural weathering.  Rust on the side of wheels, to me, looks fine and natural.  Gets rid of the shinny new look.

Loco Bill Canelos

Merlin, Do not leave it where it will be subject to a sprinkler. Sprinklers throw water sideways worse than most rain, this will fry the circuit boards.  I have run locomotives in very light rain under battery power, but only during a show I was doing.  They were dried off right away and dried off more with the wife's hair drier, and have never shown any signs of trouble.  I have also run in snow to do plowing, again things were carefully dried afterwords  Any other time when the rain comes they go right into the shed.  My son had an L*B mogul he fried in the rain leaving it run too long in light to medium rain, lucky for him the phoenix sound board he had in it was OK. 

Bottom line NEVER RUN OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN WITH A POWER PACK OUTSIDE AS WELL!!!!!  As a minimum be sure you are using a Ground Fault Circuit Breaker on any power pack PERIOD.  It is not worth Death!!!

If nothing else at least bring in your locomotives and cars as recommended by Jerry and Chuck.  The buildings fade more and more each full year they sit outside and the locos and cars will as well.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

Loco Bill is very correct about sprinkler water, especially if it is city water.  Chlorine and other additives make the water more reactive than rain water, which usually falls straight down, not from the side.  My failed LGB sound board in a mogul showed signs of oxidation in the solder on the board.  Probably from the chlorine.

Chuck

merlin2662

Thanks, everyone for the takes to my query. Though the loco is running on battery power I will heed the advice and not chance running my engine in the rain. It does represent a bit of an investment.

Happy easter everyone
Merlin

glennk28

steel wheels and axles will rust--but then they do on the full-size too.  gj