News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc questions

Started by vttrainguy, March 28, 2013, 10:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vttrainguy

Hi all!
    OK, so I am my own worst enemy ! I just got a Heisler ( LOVE IT !!) and that prompted me to try DCC with a Dynamis starter kit.
    As they say,a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ! After getting the system hooked up and reading Steve Lewis's info I was able to reset the CV' s to get the Heisler lights working properly. Hey this is great !
    So I then proceed to reinstall the decoder in my inside frame 4-4-0 ...... and it won't run. Well,  I try messing with the CV' s and still nothing. OK, so let's try ANOTHER never used decoder from a rail truck .... still nothing. Hmmm.... double check the plugs from the tender to the loco ... nope. Well, let's try changing the loco address ! Wrong again ! Wiggle the wires from the tender and WE HAVE LIFE !!!! Sort of.... only wants to run in one direction regardless of signal from controller and no lights. Messed with the CV' s again ...some people just never learn !
   OK, let's take decoder #2 and put it in a different loco - a Climax. Same symptoms, no lights and only runs in one direction regardless of controller input.
   Sooo....let's try ANOTHER never used decoder in the Climax. And it works ! Forward, reverse.... but no lights . OK, so I put that decoder into the 4-4-0 and yes we have forward and reverse, but no lights.
   So here we are,faced with two problems : 1) any ideas what I need to do to get the lights working ? and 2) does anybody know what the default settings are to restore the first two decoders or where I can get them ? Better yet, is there a shortcut to restore them ?
  Your help would be greatly appreciated and comments about my ineptitude will be accepted accordingly ! :o

Rick Gannoe

ChrisS

1st question. Are you putting the decoder plugs in the correct orientation? Pin 1 must go in socket 1

Stevelewis

First  thing  to  do  with dodgy decoders  is  to do a decoder factory reset  it  is  usually done by entering the value of 8  in CV number 8.

This will  set the decoder to the values it was at before it was ever used, and  note  it will  set  the  address back to number 3.

If this works ok you can then  programm the decoder to the required address  and enter some values  for acceeration and deceleration,,,  more often than not  it is usually not nescessary to alter any other CVs

For info the  CV for acceleration  is  3  and decelaration 4.

I usually set CV 3 to around  25,  and  CV 4  to around 12,  then  on testin how the loco runs at these settings  adjust  the settings upwards or downwards.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Royce Wilson

I am holding out for RC control..No track wiring! 8)

Royce

vttrainguy

THANK YOU Chris and Steve !!!!!
  Good call Chris, I reversed the plugs and got lights   ;D !
  Reinstalled decoders #1 & 2 to see what I had and one worked fine ( put it in a rail truck and was able to give it a new address), but the other one went crazy ! The truck took off full throttle in one direction, stopped and reversed direction all by itself !
  Steve, I'm going to follow your direction and see if that decoder can be saved.  I am sure that will work.
   Thanks again !  :D

Rick G

PS: I really DO have 3 railtrucks with NO broken gears ! Also 2 Climaxes.