New Sound sysetm Observation/Question

Started by pjf02536, March 29, 2013, 08:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjf02536

I love the new GP30, sounds are great !

When running, I've noticed that the engine doesn't seem to rev up (at normal speeds).
When in neutral I can get it to rev, but the voltage needs to be pretty high
When running, I can get it to rev, but does not change till the train runs unreasonably fast >70 scale mph

Can the levels used to change the sounds be adjusted ?
can the Volume be increased ?

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Thanks
-Pete
-Pete F

Juniata Guy

Pete:

I' ve noticed the same thing with my GP-30's.  I suspect that, unless you were operating with the old Lionel bricks that enabled you to run conventional engines at 18 volts with a TMCC controller, you will not get the power high enough in these engines to advance the prime mover sounds to a Run 8 level.

Regarding volume control, at our March club meeting, I was advised by a fellow who works in the train department for Hobbytown, that there is a potentiometer on the GP-30's that allows you to adjust the volume, same as on other WbB engines.  He said it wasn't real obvious and you had to look for it.  I haven't had an opportunity to look inside either of my GP-30's yet and can 't verify for you if this info is correct.

Curt

GG1onFordsDTandI

Instead of inside, adjustment could be on the underside ::) of frame too. Usually a screw head, sometimes its a knurled finger post, but I recently saw one (mfg?) where the screw head was hidden with a flat, disc like cap, flush with the underside. You spun the disk. Others are obscured slightly, you must turn trucks to see the adj.  All my older Og with sound is quite loud if you turn it up. Some min/max settings on some "smart train" "decoders" can stick around/affect you in conventional too. One of mine(a coal train) speed is maxed at a crawl. Though I run conventional, 9-18 volts it runs the same max speed, slooow! I programed it at hobby shop when I bought it.

phillyreading

If there is a potentiometer on the circuit board, you will have to take the shell off the GP-30 to get to it. From past experiance with older Williams, they used to put the sound circuit inside the engine shell and away from the frame.

Frow what I know about model trains, GG1onFordsDTandI mentions, he is describing an MTH engine and how to adjust the MTH engine's volume.

Lee F.