Just Pick up My two new Engines

Started by wmwalker, March 30, 2013, 09:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmwalker

I got my new Southern F3's in Black/White scheme and a L&N FA1 AA's. WOW they are great. I plan on running them most of day. Now my Williams stable is getting bigger. My wife picked them up for me late yesterday and while she was in the hobby shop she saw a set of Santa Fe Red/Silver AA's and Cars so she got those put back for her. Stable getting even bigger. ;D
My next move is to get the GP30 in ACL. I will call my Hobby shop next week and get that on order for sure.
Off to the train room. ;D
Thanks
Wyatt

TrainmanGene

I bought the Williams Super Chief set last year with all 6 Aluminum cars and they look better than the originals from the 1950's ever did. I hope they offer the new True Sounds 3 upgrades so I can have sound also.
Sueme Valley System

wmwalker

TrainmanGene
I am looking forward to getting those F3's and cars in a few weeks and I bet they will look good running on my layout.  ;)
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

wm

let us know how you like that ACL GP-30

I was torn between the UP and the ACl but went with UP as we have rolling stock and cabooses to go with it!!!

Did  ACL colour scheme the GP-30 in the famous purple and white??

wmwalker

M1FredQ
I sure will let you know when I get the ACL GP30. From what I have seen with Curt's it is just outstanding in my book. The detail is great and I really like the new sound system. The color is black with white lettering on the GP30.
Thanks
Wyatt

phillyreading

From what I am reading the new GP-30's seem to be made very well, and no problems. If one was made for the Reading Lines, I might purchase it.

My newest Williams is a powered GP-38 diesel for Reading Lines.

Anyway I now have about eight powered Williams diesel engines, four unpowered diesels. Just sold my Williams Pennsy S-2 steam engine, needed a little money for a new SD-70  due to arrive in mid May.
I have had no problems with any Williams engine other then a burnt out light bulb in more then six years of having them.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

Wyatt,
My wife bought the Williams Santa Fe F3's for me about four or five years ago. They are very nice looking and run great. They are real tree stump pullers too! ;D I picked up a seven car set of MTH RailKing Santa Fe passenger cars to run with them from my local hobby shop, Parma Hobby. The cars and A-B-A F3's look great together!!
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

Cobrabob8

Why buy beat up old Lionel for more money when you can get NEW Williams? Williams by Bachmann locomotives are nearly indestructable. If you plan on running your trains, you can't beat new Williams in the Golden Memories Line!!

Williams by Bachmann also make some really nice steam locomotives. Here is my Pennsy small Hudson from Williams. I like this loco alot.

I am also hoping to get an A-B-A set of F3's in Erie this year.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

wmwalker

Lee
You will not regret getting a GP30 when they make it Reading Line. It is well made as all there engines as you have said. Let me know when you get one.

Cobrabob8
WOW those look outstanding. That makes me wanted hurry and get those out of the LHS and have fun. Your layout looks outstanding. Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

Cobra

Is that Pennsy Steamer you have posted above is that still available from WBB?

I agree about WBB being tough. Around Christmas time I found some Illinois Central

Aluminum Streamliners(to go with The F-3 Illinois Centrals I picked up last year) in the old Williams packaging. They had that "mildew smell and original wrapping" when i got them home the vista dome car had corrosion all over the bottom chassis and the "pickups" corroded stiff. I went to work with some new gun cleaning solutions I picked up and also used brass brushes on my dremel. Finally it cleaned up got the contacts rolling. Even though they are pitted they still work and light up the vista dome. With the black "chassis" or bottom plate( you can tell I don't know all my nomenclature yet) I used this gun blue product that restores the bluing and it looks really acceptable!!. My daughter promised to help me post pictures and as soon as i can hold her feet to the fire and get her to do it for me I'll start posting pictures for this forum.

I am really liking WBB

M1FredQ

wmwalker

Did you get those Erie F-3's???

I opened the GP-30 (finally) and videoed it and will post it once I have my daughter show me how its done.

In the meantime I'll post a written review.

WBB did a superb job!! I like the softness of the railsounds. It's a great engine.

I went with the UP. The color is impressive and the lighting is sharp and crisp.

For me it's a home run. I'll talk more about it on the other thread probably over the weekend  when I have a little more time.

Cobra

if you get the Erie F-3's before the rest of us can you post it with pictures??

wmwalker

M1FredQ
I am glad you got and like the new GP30. I have seen Curt's and it is great. I am getting one myself in ACL scheme. Curt is the one getting the Erie's and I think they are due in the LHS this week. I am sure he will post here when he gets them.
Thanks
Wyatt

tsched

I also have two new ones.  For the GP30, I chose the NYC (hometown RR) though I nearly went with the Great Northern.  I love the quality of the paint and the new sounds.  But my new favorite, despite not having newer sounds, are my Boston & Maine F3s (I got the AA plus the B).  They are gorgeous.  I'm not even from New England but they're instantly my favorite engines.   :)

r0gruth

TS,

There are many WbB locos that I would like to have.My first problem is financing,the same that real railroads had. :)
I have a tendency to buy my favorite roads first,the PRR and B&O neither of which were known for eye-catching paint schemes.
Now I am getting old and if I want to put some colorful locos on my layout I will need to forgo some of my favorite roads locos
and pick up some of the next group.
Roger

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: r0gruth on April 13, 2013, 07:15:28 PM
There are many WbB locos that I would like to have.My first problem is financing,the same that real railroads had. :)
Try for a Federal grant to finance your RR :D

QuoteI have a tendency to buy my favorite roads first,the PRR and B&O neither of which were known for eye-catching paint schemes.
Oh contraire mon ami, the two tones and blues of the B&Os, and Pennsy's with gold flake on solids were killer 8). The only thing I find extremely more eye catching  :o are red Santa Fe War bonnets, Hiawatha, and the greens of the Great Northerns (oh.. and the 1976 Illinois Central GP-7 Eagle ;D) Those are just plain hard to beat.