News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC and Thomas

Started by Rollin Mayham, March 31, 2013, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollin Mayham

Hey is it possible to make the Thomas and friends characters have DCC I just want to know in case later I want a DCC layout.

jward

yes. a while back i posted a pictorial on how to install a decoder in thomas.  search for  "thomas gets a decoder"
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Rollin Mayham

AndyJB

I have just started to convert my grandson's fleet of Thomas locos to DCC/sound. So far I have only finished Toby. I attacked him first because his shape allowed more room for a speaker. Also he is very easy to dismantle as the 2 coupler pocket screws are all that secures the body shell. I might have to cheat with Thomas and Percy as they are so small. I will permanently connect Thomas to Annie or Clarabel and use them to house the decoder and speaker. I could do the same for Percy it's just a matter of deciding who will be his partner.

Fergusfan17

AndyJB

Thanks  Fergusfan17, does he ever pull more than one?

Fergusfan17

Yes, most of the time he pulls two with a Breakvan at the end. Any other engine you have an inquiry about?

Fergusfan17

Here is a guide.
James- Generic coaches (Annie and Clarabel with no faces or names)
Gordon- Express coaches (Although these have been discontinued, and are very rare.)
Henry- Vans (For the Flying Kipper)
Edward- (Again, generic coaches, maybe painted differently)
Emily- Emily's coaches
And as I am typing this I realize that some of these engines will have space in them, so this may not be necessary. Anyway, if you have anymore questions, just ask me!
Good luck with the DCC. Any help you can give me with what decoders you used and what company you used would be very helpful!
Thanks,
Fergusfan17

jward

digitrax dz123 or dz125.

these decoders also feature back emf which helps smooth out the speed. it acts like a cruise control for model locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

AndyJB

I'm using the Digitrax SDH164D sound decoder.
I will have to learn how to down load a more "Thomas" whistle and install it on the decoder.
I am a real newbie to DCC but so far I am happy with it's performance, I don't think it's my imagination that Toby runs smoother on DCC than he did on DC.
My only complaint is with the Digitrax manuals which in my opinion although they appear comprehensive are not very intuitive. I find I'm turning to the internet for the "How to" step by step advice.
I just bought 2 more of these decoders and will attempt to install them in Thomas and Diesel. I will have to add a road number to diesel so my grandson knows which loco to address. Any ideas, preferably 2 digit?

Fergusfan17

Thanks so much!
Also, the question about road numbers, for Thomas should be #1 and diesel should be DD for devious diesel.

jward

i'd give diesel a number in the 8000 series. he's based on a british rail class 08 which were numbered in the 8000s.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Fergusfan17

Quote from: jward on April 04, 2013, 08:49:57 PM
i'd give diesel a number in the 8000 series. he's based on a british rail class 08 which were numbered in the 8000s.
His grandson might not understand that, though

jward

he will if the number is decalled on the side.

on my (digitrax) dcc system you can't use letters for addresses.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

AndyJB

I might make it 88 as 08 has just been given to Duck.