News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ways to idenitify stolen trains....

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, April 01, 2013, 10:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on April 03, 2013, 01:48:49 PM
Stolen trains :o No greater crime! From your home? A show? A homemade serial number etched/engraved with last name like those added to TV's and appliances by owners isn't a bad idea for stuff at home, you would never sell, or trade. And could, just maybe, get it back to you. With any method even easy too see paint, its proper recording by you, could be offered up to the law, and your insurance company too. If at home and a great deal of focus was on your trains I would suspect an acquaintance who knew what was there. Were normal items nabbed too? Hope you get something back, but it takes luck. My pal recovered an un-insured custom 4wd truck he had rebuilt, 7yrs after its theft. It was spotted abandoned in a Detroit ghetto backyard by another friend who works on telephone lines. While up on a pole, too unique to miss or mistake, a cell call was made. A battery, gas, air tank, the TITLE, extra keys never thrown away, a call to the state police/tow truck(in case), and a short argument with the "present owner", total 1.5 hours after sited, the 7yrs dirty, but un-driven, truck was started right up and driven back home again! The last "seller", right next door, was being given steel bracelets as the truck left. Hand written sales slip got him arrested. Truck was not needed for evidence. A good day for Lady Justice. Hope your luck runs this good with your loco's.     

It was in an inside job, the suspected person was staying with us a short while as he was just divorced.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jbrock27

"Stolen trains  No greater crime!"  Seriously?!?

This thread needs a dose of reality.  Ever have someone break into/try to steal your car?  Break into your home?  Do worse to someone you know or love?

B&O RR fan, sounds like you need to rethink the company you keep.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Searsport

Your initials and postal code are a good combination - the police will know where to look for you.  The invisible pens are called security marker pens.  Any good stationers should sell them. 

There is also some stuff called smart water, used by people like churches.  It is described as a "proprietary forensic asset marking system".  Google it.

Bill.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 03, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
"Stolen trains  No greater crime!"  Seriously?!?

This thread needs a dose of reality.  Ever have someone break into/try to steal your car?  Break into your home?  Do worse to someone you know or love?

B&O RR fan, sounds like you need to rethink the company you keep.

Well the heartbreaking part is that the suspected person is a family member

Seasport - Thanks I'll check Office Depot and Staples, they should have em.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

jbrock27

B & O RRfan, sorry to hear that.  Would this family member possibly have an addiction problem?

GG1 I must commend you on your detective like insight.

Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

I had a big ol paragraph on knowing home thieves.. :P :-\... Most vic's know the thief  :'(..... Better, shorter. 8)
BO fan, no shame in helping someone, you deserve praise for having the courage to. 8). Glad to hear of the recovery! :) Watches, jewelry, sometimes have serial numbers recorded by the maker  :);) Maybe Bachmann train registry numbers?  :D   :D Electroinic serial numbers in dcc boards. :D   ;D Controller to train encryptions or passwords ;D:o;D Model train lojack  :o ;D  ::)

BaltoOhioRRfan

the engine I received today was NOT one stolen from me. No evidence of the repair could be found. Nice to have the engine back in my collection but at the same time disappointing that its not the one I had once had. May use it as leverage though. Tell em that I recovered the engine and the police are investigating the matter, may cause em to crack and confess.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

Doneldon

Balto-

Your making this post now will back you up if someone says you just came up with the description after you saw the loco. Of course, they can still claim you put the markings on the loco after you received it and you have no proof that is not the case. So ... I suggest that you have a neighbor or another independent party present when you open the package. Be sure to immediately show your marks to the witness and ask him/her to take note of it, and the time.

-- D

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Doneldon on April 04, 2013, 04:02:33 AM
Balto-

Your making this post now will back you up if someone says you just came up with the description after you saw the loco. Of course, they can still claim you put the markings on the loco after you received it and you have no proof that is not the case. So ... I suggest that you have a neighbor or another independent party present when you open the package. Be sure to immediately show your marks to the witness and ask him/her to take note of it, and the time.

-- D

I have previous photos of the engines and boxes(took a pic of my whole collection of engine boxes on a shelf years ago). But I've looked over the engine and can not find evidence of the repair which stinks. Still doesn't mean I can get suspected person a bit worried in stating I've found and recovered one of them and a police investigation is underway. even though I know its not true but it may get him to crack and confess and give up where and who he sold em to.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on April 03, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
the engine I received today was NOT one stolen from me. No evidence of the repair could be found. Nice to have the engine back in my collection but at the same time disappointing that its not the one I had once had. May use it as leverage though. Tell em that I recovered the engine and the police are investigating the matter, may cause em to crack and confess.

I prefer to play the farmer who never speaks the truth of his stolen pig, waiting for thief to trip themselves with the knowledge. But, if he doesn't crack, apologize and tell him a conspiracy theory story, the dog had it and track behind the couch, or it was in the freezer door, in a bun with mustard on it under the bed, something stupid to play with his messed up melon.  ;D 

jbrock27

Of course, studies in Criminology tell us that most crimes against us are committed by people we know.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 03, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
Break into your home?

How about both? When my dad had to spend a few days in the hospital early last December, somebody broke into his house and stole (among other things) my "vintage" American Flyer HO Northern Pacific passenger set. I've had that set since my grandparents gave it to me for Christmas in the early Sixties. The thief tried to disguise the theft by taking the train and the track but leaving the set box in place.

I loved that train. And it was actually probably worth more than my grandmother's silver, which was also taken (it was plate, not sterling).  :-\

jbrock27

I recall you mentioning that before JBJ, if I am not mistaken.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

The photo idea is pretty good one.  My thought is to ask your insurance rep for ideas; get your collection appraised.  Your insurance rep again, may have some important input on that end.  To me, the best insurance is a 12-gauge and a good dog.
Rich
PS; like the man said, SS# is not the swiftest idea you could come up with; come up with a numbering sytem.
Rich C.

Pops

The name of my railroad works for me.  It's the Heritage Valley Railroad.  I scratch in HVRR.  No private info, and with everything the same and noted, it's hard to dispute.

;D