Using JMRI to control Bachmann DCC trains

Started by nuBrailroader, April 03, 2013, 05:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuBrailroader

I am very new to model railroading and have been reading a lot about JMRI and DCC Controller, but I could not find anything with relation to the Bachmann Digital Commander. I understand that you can use JMRI with a Digitrax PR3 to program decoders, but I was more interested in controlling my trains with the software. I did read that, in order to do that, you need the JMRI software, a PR3 interface and a Digital Command station, but what I am not clear about is if the Digital Command station can be  a Bachmann Digital Commander, or will I need to invest in another Digital Command station from Digitrax? Also, if I need to buy a new command station that which one is advisable to buy. Thanks guys.

bapguy

You need a computer interface to run your layout with JMRI.The PR3 is one way to do it. Remember you CAN NOT have the PR3 and Bachmann DCC controller hooked up at the same time. You can run the layout with JMRI OR the Bachmann system. What type of layout do you have? With JMRI you don't have walk around capability unless you spend the $$$ to have a wire less network and a smart phone I believe.  Joe

nuBrailroader

Thanks Joe. I have the Bachmann Digitial Commander train set for now. So, you are saying that when using the JMRI software to control the trains I should disconnect the Bachmann Digital Commander from the tracks? I already have a wireless network at home and have a few smartphones, too, so no problem on that front.

richg

The below link will contain many links about using JMRI. Store the links you like in Favorites. You will need them.

http://tinyurl.com/cnbxsnm

Rich

nuBrailroader

napa15

Within the last few weeks I have gotten the JMRI software, a PR3 and a PTB100 booster, so that I can not have access to advanced programming of my sound decoders with my very basic Bachmann EZ Command 4x8 layout. I then discovered the wiThrottle app and it's capabilities,got excited about that because of what things it could open up with the layout.

Then I realized that none of that was possible due to the layout being controlled by the EZ Command controller. It is required to upgrade to a DCC system that uses Loconet (I think this is accurate?) in order to take advantage of these advanced features of JMRI and extra apps/etc. It simply will not work with the Bachmann DCC command stations in their current form unfortunately.

I have plans to purchase a starter system within the next month or so, that has all the necessary equipment needed to be able to use the extra JMRI features.. to include the wiThrottle. I want to be able to control multiple trains with multiple portable devices (iPhones or iPods - for the kids) on my same layout. The only thing that hurts is the required purchase of almost $200 worth of equipment, after the recent $130ish purchase for the PR3 and PTB100 booster.  :-\ BTW - the PTB100 bootster will be a waste once I get the new DCC station, as it won't be necessary. I love being a rookie and realizing after I've spent money on something that I won't need it in a few months. Oh well.

bapguy

Join the Digitrax Yahhoo group. The members can explain what you need. Joe

nuBrailroader

Thanks bapguy. I will look for it and join.