News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

add on sound for the 2-6-6-2 ?

Started by LeoSt, April 04, 2013, 11:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoSt

Is there an add-on sound unit for sale for the 2-6-6-2 just as for the 2-4-4-2 ?

When I looked in the tender it seems ready for one, but I can't find any on the Internet.

w fr greetings, Leo.

dutchbuilder

Leo , i also have a few 2-6-6-2's with no sound and one with sound.
The sound decoder is a different pcb then the drive decoder.
So you will have to replace the complete pcb.
The connector look a lot like the sound plugin connector on the newer models but is inverted.
The problem with the sound decoder is that there is next to none support.
Soundtraxx seemes to have lost their documentation.
My advise is to go for a Tsunami lightsteam decoder ,TSU 1000 or 750.
You can adjust the chuff sound  to an articuleted locomotive.

Ton

LeoSt

Thanks Ton,

guess I didn't take a good enough look  ::)

Yep, will go the Tsunami way !

cheers, Leo

oljonb

I, too find myself rather disappointed at what Bachmann has done, or, more correctly, not done.
When I popped the coal load off my new 2-6-6-2 there it was: a 21 pin decoder. Great, I thought, now all I have to do is purchase a Tsunami decoder and plug it in.
  I checked the Soundtraxx site and found they have a compatible decoder for the 2-4-4-2, but none listed for the 2-6-6-2. I figured, perhaps the 2-4-4-2 would be compatible since both are articulated locomotives and the sound should be at least compatible if not the same. No so.
The folks at Soundtraxx told me they do NOT have a Tsunami unit for the 2-6-6-2. And Bachmann confirmed there is none compatible for the 2-6-6-2 and I would have to install a regular Soundtraxx unit. They shared the plug and play Tsunami unit is installed in the engines when they leave China, but no aftermarket plug and play unit is available.
  The logic of this completely escapes me and it seems to me Bachmann has dropped the ball and made a major mistake. Was someone in the Bachmann sound department on vacation when the decision was made?
  I have come to expect more from Bachmann and am EXTREMELY disappointed. Jon

Steve Magee

Oh dear me. What has this hobby come to - you actually NEED a drop-in sound decoder??

The 21 pin connection makes it just as easy. Remove the 21-pin cable to expose the 21 pin socket - or is it the other way around, I don't have my articulated in front of me - insert speaker of choice in the receptacle (an MRC fits neatly), seal with preferred method - BluTac or its equivalent is fine - solder the two speaker wires to the Bachmann circuit  board (speaker mounting holes are marked on the board).

Tsunami don't have a 21-pin decoder? Aw, shucks,  order a Zimo MX645D sound decoder, install, program and run train. You can even order the decoder loaded with a 2-6-6-2 sound file for a logging mallet, Uintah or Sumpter Valley loco if you want. And you will have the sort of running qualities that Tsunami can only dream about.  Zimo decoders can be ordered from www.mrsonline-org in Vancouver, and listen to the Zimo files at www.zimo.at. Just ignore the diesel files - not just because they are not for a steam loco :-) but it is one area where Zimo truly lag.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Australia

Steve Magee

Oops. The MRs online web site should read www.mrsonline.net. Sorry about that.

Steve

Hamish K

As I understand it Bachmann changed their sound policy a couple of years ago. Spectrum locos introduced after the change  come DCC equipped, with an optional sound card. Prior to that separate sound and non-sound versions were made. (Separate versions are still being introduced for some cheaper non-spectrum models, but not to date in ON30) Locos introduced before the change, including the 2-6-6-2, still follow the old policy, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to change unless an upgraded version was introduced. Bachmann batch produces, and the 2-6-6-2s currently being distributed may have been made before the change in policy.The catalogues show models as available until the warehouse stock drops below a certain level.

Hamish