News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Turnout Issue

Started by steveeusd, April 05, 2013, 02:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello Everyone--

May be someone can help me.  Two of my DCC turnouts - a crossover and a single #5 - do not respond when I press their programmed numbers on the EZ Command unit.   When I plug in the command unit and run trains, using the turnouts as I wish, all turnouts work properly.  Then, after about five minutes, two of four switches (I have two crossovers and two single turnouts) do not respond when I activate them from the command unit. 

I've had the turnouts approximately three years, but have used them sparingly.  I have been running trains now for two weeks without incident -  until yesterday.  The problem still exists.  Interestingly, when I unplug and replug the EZ command unit, all the turnouts work perfectly for about five minutes.  Then the same cycle occurs, the two offending turnouts become unresponsive.  The layout is a small, 5' x 9' dual main set up.  I've tried different numbered keys, have checked the circuit boards, wires, etc. for issues.  Everything appears fine.   

Any clues as to what may be going on?  Can it be fixed?

Thanks,

Steve Williams

hawaiiho

I have had the same problem with two of my Bachmann DCC turnouts for several years. If you find a solution, please post it.
I never have and the problem still occurs periodically and randomly.

Jerrys HO

Steve
It may be a power issue. Try adding a feeder by your crossover. It could be that it is loosing the signal to the decoder through dirty tracks the more you run your trains or a faulty/loose rail joiner. By adding a feeder it may increase the signal to the decoder.
I have one Decoder equipped crossover and added a feeder right next to it and have had no problems except when I power my system up it always activates my points if they are in the straight position.
My plan is to replace it with an regular crossover like my other one.

Jerry

hawaiiho

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 05, 2013, 06:53:55 AM
Steve
It may be a power issue. Try adding a feeder by your crossover. It could be that it is loosing the signal to the decoder through dirty tracks the more you run your trains or a faulty/loose rail joiner. By adding a feeder it may increase the signal to the decoder.
I have one Decoder equipped crossover and added a feeder right next to it and have had no problems except when I power my system up it always activates my points if they are in the straight position.
My plan is to replace it with an regular crossover like my other one.

Jerry

I thought of both and have eliminated both as problems. Anyway one of the DCC turnouts is less than 20 inches from the power connection.

I would replace it with a manual or hard wire turnout, but I am trying to go the other way so that I can automate my layout.