How about this for a new piece of Bachmann On30 motive power?!

Started by Kevin S., April 06, 2013, 05:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin S.

Check this locomotive out. Not everyone's cup of tea I am sure, but those who want a more modern locomotive that can pull some series tonnage on the narrow gauge will like it.

http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2450

http://www.godfatherrails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=1776

http://www.godfatherrails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=1775

railtwister

That center truck, if it were to be powered rather than just a dummy, would require some major engineering in order to get the loco to operate on model layout sized curves!

Bill in FtL

Skarloey Railway

Interesting. If the outer trucks just pivot and the middle truck pivots and moves laterally, then the mechanics would be simple but it would look awful on model curves.

But, if the outer trucks pivot and move radially, like the unpowered wheels on a 4-6-0 and the middle bogie just pivots then while it would look a lot better it would have some interesting mechanics if it's to have more than one powered bogie. If the centre bogie had traction tyres and the outer two just had power pick ups then it might have a much simpler mech but decent pulling power.

Actually the arrangement is much like a double-ended mallet.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: railtwister on April 07, 2013, 09:01:38 AM
That center truck, if it were to be powered rather than just a dummy, would require some major engineering in order to get the loco to operate on model layout sized curves!  Bill in FtL

The center truck does not need to pivot at all, it can remain locked in place, making use as traction drive simple. A can motor, or two, or three, should fit under that shell. Besides lateral sliding of the center truck, maybe blind wheels on the center truck, combined with offset swing axis/pivot on the forward and rear trucks could hide the tight curve hang issues better       

oljonb

But it's a diesel! For us steamies, that's about as much fun as a date with an inflateable doll....

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: oljonb on April 14, 2013, 02:51:06 PM
But it's a diesel! For us steamies, that's about as much fun as a date with an inflateable doll....
Two or three diesels wont hurt the steam count in On30. Its very "narrow" in variety. My layout is not On30. My interest is one steamer, one electric, one diesel, ore, logs, milk, and livestock. Using the narrow gauge to "feed" my full O lines, if I do a 60s diesel lash in O, it would be nice to "feed it" with something from closer to the same era in On30. In On30 as is, I have a plethora of steam to chose from, but only 1/2 a diesel (that little thing only counts as half an engine)
PS..I'm pressin buttons, so You can calm down now  ;) Steamers outnumber diesels 5:1 at my house :D. I even own more electrics than diesels  ;D  Ahh.. Smoke, whistle, drive rods, and valve gear  8)). Oops, speaking of, time for more smoke fluid, Bye.