Happy Easter-Trains_ GP-30 has arrived

Started by M1FredQ, March 31, 2013, 12:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Happy Easter Everyone!!!!!

Was out of town took 2 of the little ones on yes a train ride. We took AMTRAK into

Chicago spent the day sightseeing rode the Train Back to New Buffalo stayed at  cool

Comfort Inn in St Joe Michigan. I have not rode AMTRAK in a few years it was a great time. The trains are sell outs!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of young people, students, and young families. And yeas Railfans-these guys are great!! They were talking "Rail" stuff the whole time. My kids had a great time these rail fan fellas had great senses of humor.
There were German Exchange students on board who were going to ride the Empire Builder for their Spring Break. I was AMAZED at how much American rail history they knew!!!!  Next adventure is all the way to Port Huron next long weekend.

By the way if you are in New Buffalo michigan "OINKS" is the best ice cream you will ever have big generous scoops and a fun place. Also the I luv Toy Trains shop is across the street!!!!

M1FredQ

Forgot to add the UP GP-30 arrived at Fed-Ex Saturday if I have time I'll open it and

give my 50 cent review. So far I am impressed with how it was packaged for shipping

Pops

GG1onFordsDTandI

Wait and see what ridership % increases happen with each avg/mph increase we get too. The faster we can go in Michigan the larger the regular ridership will be. Some US sped up lines boast rider % increase rates in the high hundreds, even some of the lowest increases are still impressive. With those kinds of numbers true(er) high speed and building of more rail structures to eliminate problem crossings, etc., does seem possible. Soon? Eh, we'll see.

M1FredQ

GG1

The train that came passed us before the one we boarded was crusing at over 100 mph!!!

Took everyones breath away my kids were both excited and a little scared !!

We are taking that one next trip when we go to Port Huron!!!!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: M1FredQ on March 31, 2013, 08:24:43 PM
The train came passed us before the one we boarded was cruising at over 100 mph!!!
Took everyones breath away my kids were both excited and a little scared !!
We are taking that one next trip when we go to Port Huron!!!!

I know. We just need to work on the slow areas as they really can drag the avg/mph down quick. I want to see 100mph averages, even higher top speeds ;D Not just because we should but because we can. :o Transportation diversification.  ::) Heck rip a bridge right across from Gross Isle/stoney isle/Canada/Buffalo. Michigan Central RR style (2x fail! 1800s). "High Speed Chicago to NY, with stops at Buffalo, London, Gross Isle Mich (between Det. and Toledo), loading at gates six through 12". Why stop dreamin' now? NY to LA, Savanna to Seattle, Chicago to Fort Worth. Kansas City as the rail hub of the U.S. 8)(Psst..Hey, didn't dey do dat dere like dat in da grampa's day like 100 years ago or sumpin'  ??? for real? :-\)........ ;D  Sorry maybe this will explain my actions today  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0T57GOwPo

M1FredQ

I am amazed when i read that back in the World War 2 days trains were traveling at 100 mph!!!

I read an article about the 1930'-1940's a business man could board a train in Chicago at 5pm ish and be back in Detroit by 11pm.!!!!!

That was then!!!

When I go to Germany and Italy I get  all hopfull and excited because i think "Why can't we do this with our trains???" Those German and Italian Speed trains are really comfortable, clean, great seats, even Espresso or Adult Beverages. And those speeds are awesome.

While checking out the AMTRAC routes Why no direct Chicago to Florida?? I would think that would be a hot ticket!! How about a car train for that run. Or make it Indianapolis to Florida as a Chicago to Indy already exists.

Just dreamin.

If it ever happened I would ditch flying to Florida and wouldn't mind the extra time as I have grown weary of TSA and all the delays and hassles. I loved the free parking and boarding a train about 50 feet from where i parked my car!!!!

M1FredQ

I will get that review of the GP-30 done eventually. Some family business came up

and we have to go into Chicago for my daughter's volleyball matches. This is the daughter that said she would help me post video or pictures for you folks!!

We havent open the box yet to the GP-30!!!