News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 17

Started by Fergusfan17, April 09, 2013, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

And now for my thoughts on Henry's Hero...
No way, another perfect episode?  This season is just getting better and better than I thought!  What I loved so much about this episode was that it was dedicated to both Henry and Hiro.  Henry (throughout seasons 8-16) and Hiro have both had poor or dull episodes throughout the series, and this episode gives them full redemption.  The moral of this episode was great too (which is a rarity).  Henry and Hiro are both not perfect in this episode, but they both influenced each other to go far, and in the end they ended up going further than both of them thought they would.  The scenery was incredible, especially the aerial shots of Hiro and Henry's trains, it gave off a nice birdseye view with the different trees throughout the background.  Thomas and Gordon's roles were a nice addition as well, Gordon always seems to get pretty decent roles throughout episodes, even if they don't star him.  
And with Duck being added...that was just icing on the cake. :)  Loved his voice, and I loved how they kept his classic whistle.  I'm still not fond of his design in full CGI, but at the same time I like how the writers brought him back because they knew that was who the fans wanted to see the most.  They didn't even need to give him a big role to get everyone excited again.  
The best part about this episode though had to be Henry not needing special coal.  While I loved the season 1 episode(s) featuring it, the story notes that Henry used to run on special coal.  However in Magic Railroad, and Season 10 onward, Henry apparently needed special coal again.  Bad judgement on the writers part, but good that it won't be an issue any longer.  
Seven episodes in...two perfect episodes, three great episodes, one average episode, and one bad episode.  Already a huge improvement over everything we've seen from seasons 13-16.  Can't wait for the rest of this week!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Zorran202

It was great that we got to see an old, but classic character that hadn't been seen for quite a while, and thankfully, they released him at the right time (I mean geez, imagine what would've happened if they released him in the previous CGI series... *shudders*).

And I'm also pleased that the overall episode felt like reading "Super Rescue" from the RWS. I mean Henry pushing a broken down engine with a crap load of trucks and himself being handicapped as well? Wow... Yeah, this is an episode I can enjoy for a while. Now while it had some little nitpicks here and there (like at the end, Henry and Hiro leave the Steamworks at the same time, towards the exit with only one transfer table... Yeaaaah, you can see where this is going), it had an overall interesting plot and buildup... I personally give it a 9/10 :)

Chaz

Now for Luke's New Friend... When I first read the summary of this episode, I had a bad feeling about this one.  Sadly I was proven right.  It feels like any episode from the newer series that featured animals have always turned out to be poor... Thomas Toots the Crows, Percy's New Friends, Thomas' Tall Friend, and a few more following that.  Like those episodes, I didn't find Luke's New Friend to be an enjoyable episode at all.  It was just very boring and uninteresting.  I will admit that this type of role is more suitable for Luke than the likes of Thomas and Percy, but at the same time it doesn't exactly make it a more tolerable episode.  However, I did like how this episode mainly focused on the narrow gauge engines, along with Luke finally getting an episode and appearances by Owen and Merrick.  I did find one scene touching which was Luke leaving off the deer and his driver patting him as the deer leaves.  Otherwise, like Steamie Stafford, this is another episode I don't plan on watching twice. The three-strike formula was more apparent in this episode, the moral was shoved down our throats, and to add to that it's very unrealistic... you can't make an entire quarry quiet while at work, even on everyone's own will (especially with explosions).  Also, anyone else notice the standard gauge brake van at the back of Luke's train...?  Even if it's dual track, that's not a good sign in my books.  
Honestly (after reading some comments on YouTube), I feel like some people are giving this episode too much credit due to the "cutesyness" of this episode, along with Luke finally getting an episode.  While I welcome the ladder, I can guarantee you if this featured any of the main characters like Thomas, Percy, and Toby, this episode would have gotten much more critical reviews.  Like Don't Bother Victor, I think this episode is overrated. ::)
EDIT: Just edited my review slightly.  

seanrail

Quote from: ModelTrainFan538 on June 12, 2013, 06:06:57 AM
Now for Luke's New Friend... When I first read the summary of this episode, I had a bad feeling about this one.  Sadly I was proven right.  It feels like any episode from the newer series that featured animals have always turned out to be poor... Thomas Toots the Crows, Percy's New Friends, Thomas' Tall Friend, and a few more following that.  Like those episodes, I didn't find Luke's New Friend to be an enjoyable episode at all.  It was just very boring and uninteresting.  I will admit that this type of role is more suitable for Luke than the likes of Thomas and Percy, but at the same time it doesn't exactly make it a more tolerable episode.  The only thing I liked about this episode were the explosions in the quarry.  Otherwise, like Steamie Stafford, this is another episode I don't plan on watching twice.
My current ratings so far:
Henry's Hero - 10/10
Gordon runs dry - 10/10
Wayward Winston - 9/10
Calm Down Caitlin - 7/10
Kevin's Cranky Friend - 7/10
Scruff's makeover - 5/10
Luke's New Friend - 3/10
Steamie Stafford - 2/10
i have to agree with you about Luke's New Friend. I had a idea of a story for Luke which like Blue Mountain Mystery, contains a mystery and crime drama genre. Like in the BMM film, Diesel still wants to get rid of Luke, but does not know how... until he meets a wanted smuggler at Brendam who is planning a child smuggling attempt. When Diesel learns that Luke is to look after Mr and Mrs Percival's children while they are away on the mainland on important business, a devious idea creeps into Diesel's mind.

Zorran202

Well, if you think about it, Luke's New Friend actually had some realistic moments (like the other engines telling Luke that the deer doesn't belong at the quarry, especially Rheneas), unlike how the other previous episodes sucked horribly that had animals as part of the plot. I mean, this pretty much beats Percy's New Friend by a long shot if ya think about it.

Luke also refers to the deer as friend, not as Mr. *insert animal name here* from the likes of Percy in the latter mentioned episode...

And come on, Thomas doesn't show up for once!! Thank goodness!!

To me, while it still had a bit of animation goofs, it's at least much better of animal themed episodes by a long shot-to each his/her own I suppose. I personally give it an 8/10.

Chaz

The Switch... a HUGE improvement to the disappointment I saw in Luke's New Friend.  I honestly didn't think I would like Millie so much as a character, but I actually really liked her once I saw this episode.  She already has more personality than other female characters such as Molly, Belle, and Lady.  Seeing the tension between Luke and Millie with the dramatic music really played off a nice effect.  Then watching them switching their jobs with the Earl and Mr. Percival's permission (which is something they wouldn't have done one or two seasons ago) was also a nice twist.  Plus I really liked how both of them learned about their different perspectives, but while they both struggled at first they seemed to really have a better understanding towards the end of the episode.  I also liked how Rheneas was in better character (as opposed to racing in the quarry in the previous episode).  Especially when early on when he was having doubts of Millie.  The most hilarious part of this episode was watching Luke racing right into the station and the young boy shouts "Again, again!" shortly after that wild ride.  Everything about this episode was done really well, though I must be honest it was kind of silly seeing Millie scared of going into a tunnel.  
Otherwise, this episode was fantastic, written very well, and opens up the audience more to Millie as a character.

Zorran202

And she speaks French in the episode too, albeit not as much as Victor did with Spanish, but at least easy for kids to learn what Bonjour and Au Revoir mean. That's diversity coming into play, especially in the narrow gauge engines. :)

Btw, did anyone notice that Luke makes friends that are different nationalities that also speak different languages? He must have something to be friends with them so easily :P

Chaz

And we've reached the final point before the first break between the season... Not Now, Charlie... it was average.  Anyone ever heard the expression "the more things change, the more they stay the same"?  This episode proves it as the writing has gotten better...Charlie is still the same character, (with the bad jokes).  Which admittedly I'm not that concerned about, but one thing that throws me off about the episode is the moral.  This is practically a version of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, only delivered in a more gentle matter, which makes the episode extremely predictable.  The thing that throws me off is what happened with the moral.  It was a very good moral, and it works perfectly with Charlie of all characters.  However, I probably would have rated this episode higher if they stuck to the moral.  Seconds later once the message was delivered, Charlie simply carries on telling jokes as if nothing had happened.  However, at the same time, this is also why I liked the episode.  It added for good humor and it gave a good twist to the show, something I don't think has ever been done before.  
With that being said, I will admit it has it's moments, like Gordon bursting with laughter at the beginning, and Cranky's dislike for Charlie's jokes and elephants.  So overall, this episode has left me with mixed feelings, not the greatest, but by no means the worst.  
My current ratings so far:
Henry's Hero - 10/10
Gordon runs dry - 10/10
Wayward Winston - 9/10
The Switch - 9/10
Calm Down Caitlin - 8/10
Kevin's Cranky Friend - 7/10
Scruff's makeover - 6/10
Not now, Charlie - 5/10
Luke's New Friend - 3/10
Steamie Stafford - 2/10
After watching some of these again and posting my thoughts on these episodes, I can say that this is already a huge improvement compared to what we've seen in past five seasons of the series.  I can safely say that I'm interested in seeing what the rest of the season is like, and hopefully those episodes will come sooner rather than later.  

Mulfred

Season 17 take so far. A huge improvement, my personal best episode being Gordon runs dry with Henry's hero close second. My personal least favorite being steamy Stafford but guess every season has one daft episode lol, best moment (salty to the workman) oh watch yourself lol. Anyone got any idea when it's back?

Zorran202

Definitely after King of the Railway. For the US broadcast, it would premiere in October 7th(?). As for the UK, probably around the same time as the US since they have the remaining 10-16 episodes left to air. We'll see in the next couple of months.

Mulfred

Well just read on roll along Thomas season 17 will be back on.screens in the UK in October.

Zorran202

Knew it! I wonder what the rest of the series will be like. Judging by the first 10 episodes shown so far, this season showed a lot of promise! I just hope they surprise us even further (not character-wise, but more like bringing back old elements of the show like the interactions between the standard gauge and narrow gauge engines like back in Seasons 4-5, not counting the new series since those seasons were limited to Thomas and James). We'll see for sure! :)

PaulGWR

my only problem with the narrow gauge episodes is that they're mostly in the quarry and I do think that they should focus a little bit more on the other parts of the skarloey railway (for example, there should be an episode where Luke has to pull passenger trains while an engine is at the works) but for this season it would be great to see Donald and Douglas and others come back ;D or an episode with Luke and Duncan interacting. ::)

Zorran202

Well, Don't Bother Victor featured the narrow gauge engines outside the quarry, so that's a plus for me. I imagine they'll be shown outside the quarry a bit frequently, especially you'd have to think about who'd be running the main lines of the Skarloey railway (you know, considering that Skarloey to Rusty plus Luke work at the quarry, one would think Duncan and Duke would be running the lines, maybe even Mighty Mac too, kind of).