News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 17

Started by Fergusfan17, April 09, 2013, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanrail

if you like the stories of Series 17, I have put up a thread you can write stories using the new writing style for Series 17 onwards. We love to see what we have written using the new writing style, the thread is titled 'new writing style story thread'

seanrail

Series 17 is continuing airing in the UK on September 30th, starting with 'The Lost Puff'.

Zorran202

Two more days until the release of Season 17!! Can't wait!! :D

Chaz

Well the Lost Puff came and went, here are my thoughts on the start of the second half of the season:
The humor in this episode was pretty decent, I didn't fall in love with it but I didn't hate it either.  The episode seemed focused more on silliness rather than anything else (seriously, count how many times the word silly or silliness or other alternatives to that word was used in that episode).  The ironic thing was the episode that was intended to be humorous really wasn't the funniest episode of the season.  I think that goes to Calm Down Caitlin, so in a sense you can say I felt a little underwhelmed by this episode.  
This doesn't make it a bad episode by any means, it was a pretty enjoyable episodes and it definitely had it's moments like Toby finally getting to speak this season, Paxton getting his own episode, and of course that duck deserves a category of it's own.  Plus it was great seeing Stephen again, and the look of utter confusion he had in the episode was pretty funny.  Aside from that though, I feel there really isn't as much to offer about this episode aside from what was said earlier.  Again it's not that I didn't like this episode, it's just compared to most episodes this season, it really didn't stand out to me like how other episodes this season did.
6/10
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

thomasj219

I loved Paxton, he was the grace note throughout the episode. Three strikes was there but not as in your face, it is fading it seems. On the whole not a bad episode, I would prefer one that doesn't focus on bring sill though.

And  Welcome Back Chaz  ;) Good to see you after all this time.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Cheeky_ULP

I just watched The Thomas Way, and it exceeded my expectations!

I was expecting something like Gordon and Ferdinand or Thomas Sets Sail, but instead the story pretty much goes out of its way to point out the errors and flaws in those types of episodes (wide loads have to be monitored and secured). It even puts logic to things usually questioned in the show, like how engines suddenly turn around without a turntable (with Rocky!).

Overall, the intros a nostalgic treat, and the episode itself will satisfy a lot of people who were dissatisfied with episodes of not-long-ago. It's not my favorite episode of S17, but it's definitely in my Top 5.

It also seems Misty Island Tunnel is completely walled up!

Chaz

The Thomas Way was incredible, and honestly much better than I anticipated it to be.  I originally thought this was going to be a typical Thomas learning a lesson about teamwork type of episode that they usually pull off every season.  It turns out that this episode did this in it's own unique way.  They had Duck in his original personality, and they had it spot on!  It was great seeing Callan Castle in full CGI, the reaction from Gordon at Knapford was humourous, and of course the model era Duck being in that picture completely blew my mind.  And Duck being turned around by Rocky was an interesting move on the writer's part, I actually really liked that.

If there was one thing that I thought was odd about the episode, it's that I thought it was a little odd that Duck didn't see the danger of taking Harold to Knapford station or the tunnel until the last second.  Duck was right in front of both places respectively and it was kinda odd seeing as how he didn't see how Harold wouldn't fit through both areas respectively.  

And of course a good sign for me was...
Quote from: Sparks on October 01, 2013, 09:51:10 AM
It also seems Misty Island Tunnel is completely walled up!

I am totally okay with this!  :D

This episode without a doubt reaches my top 5 without a question.  I know some fans find Duck to be "overrated" but even if they still have this approach with Duck as a character I can't see why they wouldn't like this episode.  It's definetely an episode that will stand out compared to most this season, which is really saying something!
9.5/10

And thanks thomasj219! :) Same to you!

seanrail

I thought the story was written by Andrew Brenner, instead, it was written by Paul Larson and Laura Beaumont. is it not strange?

thomasj219

Not really, just because an episode brings back old things doesn't mean it has to be written by him. I thought it was really fantastic. Everything I hoped it would be. Also anyone notice that Duck has RED buffe housings, like the BACHMANN model. So it seems that solves that mystery.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

PasqualeCS96

All I can say is that this episode was done the Great Western Way!  :)

Anthony P2

everything about the episode was done amazingly. one thing i didn't like was they said "the Great Western way" too many times. they could have just said "the right way." but other than that 8/10.

Chaz

Now for my thoughts on today's episode, the Phantom Express.  
Honestly at best, I thought this episode was okay.  It was better than the likes of Luke's New Friend and Steamie Stafford but I didn't quite find myself enjoying this episode as much as the likes of Scruff's Makeover or The Lost Puff.  There really wasn't anything I found particularly memorable about this episode at all, the only real positive note I can think of is that this is the first episode since season 11 to have an episode take place all at night.  No daytime or sunset scenes, just all at night.  That's pretty rare for Thomas episodes nowadays, or even the classic series for that matter.  The storyline felt a lot like Jack Frost, except a little boring, minus the crash scenes.  The crash scenes were interesting but I felt having both Percy and Stephen crash was a little overboard.  Another thing I didn't understand was Sir Topham Hatt's punishment for James... to take Percy's mail for a week?  While I like that the writers are taking the initiative to give the engines punishment for doing something bad, the punishment given to James just didn't quite work for this episode.  If anything it sounds more like a punishment for Percy since he likes taking the mail.  Aside from that though, the storyline in general was okay, the cast of characters was okay and of course the moral tying into the episode was... okay.  The episode was good for what it was, but it did feel like another one of the weaker episodes this season.  
5/10

seanrail

Actually Chaz, James was to take the mail for a month as punishment. I like the idea of an engine getting a punishment for bad behaviour, but i have to agree with you, the mail train punishment did not suit James. I was hoping it would be the Flying Kipper because no one, save Henry, Arthur and Salty, likes that job; Thomas particularly or even better, pulling tar tankers as we all know how embarrassed James was when he got covered in tar for calling Toby and Henrietta 'DIRTY OBJECTS!'. What do you think, Chaz? Would the Flying Kipper or tar tanker punishment would have improved your final rating of the episode?

Chaz

You are right on that, I completely blanked that out, thanks for pointing that out! 

Also, personally a tar tanker punishment sounds like a far more suitable punishment for James, it almost sounds like something Andrew Brenner would have done too.  I definitely would have rated the episode higher if they gave James a more suitable punishment, but probably not all that much higher.

Also another thing, apparently we are getting 26 episodes! 

Here is no more mr. nice engine:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/thomas-and-friends/#episode/ZX9601A009S00

seanrail

Chaz, I thought of another punishment for James in the Phantom Express, from James and the coaches, that James will have his red coat taken off of him and have him painted blue.