News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD SD40-2

Started by dankoesterman, April 10, 2013, 12:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dankoesterman

Hello

I bought a new Bachmann EMD SD40-2 DCC equipped, I am waiting for it to come in at LHS.
my ? is is there room in the shell to add a speaker and replace the decoder and is it a plug and play?   ( there on backorder )

Thanks

bapguy

It's not a plug and play. You need to replace the board decoder in it. Tsunami # 828041 is for the EMD 645 turbo prime mover. If you use this decoder, you will need to add resister for the LED's.  Looking at the isometric drawing, a speaker might fit under the motor in the fuel tank. The other possible location is on the top weight towards the rear. There is a place where there is a indentation in the weight. You might be able to mill this out more and fit a speaker under the decoder there. Joe

dankoesterman

Joe
That is was what i  needed to Know,

Thanks

richg

I have used this type decoder in other diesels and mounted them using Scotch exterior mounting tape.
MT-401. It has a  Red covering. Any hardware store has it. Recommend by a online DCC store.

Get some Kapton tape from your DCC supplier. A thin, tough tape which is much better than electrical tape.

I have used 16mm x 35mm speakers in diesels mounted over the rear truck firing down. Some people use a 28mm round.
Below is a good DCC link by the fellow who use to own Litchfield Station, a online DCC supplier. He has all kinds of useful DCC suggestions and ideas. Pay attention to the Curriculum and SoundTraxx links.

A 1k, 14 watt resistor is usually used for LED's.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich

dankoesterman

Rich

Thanks, this very helpful.

bapguy

If you do go with the Tsunami, down load the user manual from soundtraxx. On my Tsunami's I have the head lights set up so they are both on reguadless of direction. Tsunamis also have several auto sounds that can be programmed: The horn blows when the engine starts to move as well as the bell rings, the brakes squell as the loco speed is reduced.  Joe

dankoesterman

Joe
I have installed Tsunami in other engines and really like them,
Thanks for all the information

Dan