Question for the Bach-man....and any others who can help....

Started by traindude109, August 23, 2007, 12:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traindude109

Bach-man, (or anyone else who knows and can help) is it possible to use E-z Mate couplers on Athearn equipment without modifications? I would like to use them to get rid of the stupid hornhook couplers and my LHS carries a lot of them.

The LHS has these 2 versions of the E-Z Mates.......

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=246

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=468

Thanks in advance for any help!  :)
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

djp

Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

If you are buying replacement couplers, go with Kadees.  Especially if you are working with Athearn cars, buy the bulk pack, without the boxes, and follow instructions.  It's best to remove the paint from the area of the coupler that goes around the pin and to add a bit of graphite lube. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mike

Yes, you can use the E-Z Mates on the Athearns... better to use the E-z Mate II's... much better spring action.- Mike S.

traindude109

Thanks everyone. Yes I know Kadees are better by far, but the only Kadees my LHS sells are Talgo mounts   :P

Anyway, I am buying some rolling stock from a friend back East, and he said he would go to his LHS, buy the bulk pack and include those in the package, so I guess I am all set. I was just curious to if they would be able to be used on Athearn if I ever needed to use them at any point in time.

Thanks again everyone.
Matt

Hoople

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

traindude109

Matt

r.cprmier

Thanks everyone. Yes I know Kadees are better by far, but the only Kadees my LHS sells are Talgo mounts 

Then drop him/her and go with someone who can deliver the goods; lest you be a-wailin' and a-gnashing your choppers.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

sour rails

I tend to disagree with everyone.  I much prefer the EZ mates over Kadee.  However, having only one car with a Kadee isn't much of a comparison, but EZ mates are cheaper and I can't really afford the Kadees.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Stephen Warrington

Go with Kadee, yes they might cost more but I have been using them since I first bought a Athearn BB kit almost 20 years ago and the KD #5s are still going strong. Last few cars I got with the clones either McHenry or EZ Mate IIs were already worthless in the box with the knuckles sprung even on a brand new 2-10-2. Save yourself some heartache go with Kadee.

Stephen

r.cprmier

Digging a "de-coupled" remmnant of a train out of a long tunnel due to a failed coupler enough times, might convince you to go with a winner.  It's all relative; quality will always win out.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Yes,
Murphy's model railroad law:  A model train will always have an accident at the most inconveninet place at the most embarrasing time.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"