Reversing mine car on Bachmann On30 show layout

Started by DABrown, April 21, 2013, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DABrown

I saw the Bachmann On30 layout recently. How does the reversing mine car work? Do you simply use the auto reversing track system (44547)? Or does it require using and adapting the full Village Street Car set with the trolley barn? Bottom line - how can I make my own reversing mine car scene? Thanks for any help!

TimR

Bachmann Item 44547 will do what you want as long as the Bachmann gray road bed track fits into your scheme. While the gray roadbed track sections look the same visually, they ARE different from normal track in functionality so don't try to connect the two types together.

The speed is variable and the stop time is advertised @ 5 - 7 seconds. This set allows you to have reversing capability without the trolley barn. Search the Bachmann site for 44547 and you will find it. I see it is available on Amazon for ~$113. You find lower prices elsewhere but at least you know what to look for.

There are other manufacturers of reversing systems but probably not as easy to set up and install for the novice.

DABrown

Thanks, TimR - very helpful. I may use the 44547 set but just out of curiosity how could I accomplish this with On30 track? That sure would look better than the plastic roadbed. Again, thanks for any insight.

the Bach-man

Dear DA,
Initially I "buried" the end of the trolley barn under the mountain. Shipping damage resulted in its replacement with the new reverse track.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

TimR

Couple of options DA.

1. You could get the Bachmann set and then copy the wiring for the track pieces from the supplied track to your On30 track. You will of course, still use the electronics supplied with the set. Also, there is one piece that goes on the end furthest away and it is wired differently, so watch what you're doing there. It IS marked and directional. (even though the bumper goes beyond it, there is nothing special about the bumpers.)

2. Get a kit from Circuitron. The AR-1 and AR-2 will work with standard track. The chief difference between them is the AR-2 has a programmable delay. I have used their stuff before and while pretty reliable, it does take more work to install.

There are even other options out there. Again, it depends on your layout, level of expertise, and the time (and perhaps aggravation) you have to devote to the project. If you are in a hurry and want it to be easy, the Bachmann kit will fill that bill quite nicely. Good luck and have fun!