News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consolidation question

Started by oljonb, April 16, 2013, 11:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oljonb

Not very technologically savvy so I hope I can explain this.
I have replaced the cabbage head stack with the tapered stack option on my 2-8-0. The parts diagram shows what I surmise is an air or steam line running from the fireman's side of the cab along the boiler and up the stack (to generate updraft?). Can't figure out where it fastens at either end. The projection near the top of the line appears to bear on the side of the stack as if there should be a receptacle on the stack for it to fit into, which there isn't. What keeps it in place?
  You folks have been most helpful in the past so I anticipate you'll straighten me out again.

petervweimer

I have fixed this part to my Consolidation and there should be a fitting hole in the tapered stack. If there is none you should try to get a replacement part or drill it yourself (as ist is plastic a sharp pointed knife blade will do). On the other end this part goes into the lower left cab front. There is a hole drilled for it but it is a bit tricky to reach so you will have to do a little fiddling to get it in. Just secure good lighting and give it a try.

oljonb

Thanks for the information. I figured it was something like that. I'll have to check again, but I was sure I saw no mounting hole in the stack. If I have to order a replacement I'll be certain to ask them to make sure it has the mounting hole. Jon

Steve Magee

The line is an electrical conduit for cable to a light aimed up the stack so that the engineer/fireman can check how the loco is smoking at night. There is a hole in the stack but it is 90 degree out of whack if the stack is put in with its correct orientation as per the locating lug. File the lug off the bottom of the stack and glue it in place with the mounting hole lining up with the tab on the conduit.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

oljonb

Wondered what it was for, never would have guessed this was its purpose. Makes sense when you think about it.
My tapered stack had no hole; a little work with the drill solved that. But I'll bet I'd never have found the hole in the cab without some guidance. And I agree, it took a bit of fiddling to work the line through the hand rail etc.
Thanks for the help, guys, and information. Great site Bachmann has here.