Command Control Upgrade for Williams O Gauge Trains

Started by haawk77, April 23, 2013, 11:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haawk77

I am fairly new to the O scale train hobby, and I have purchased several diesels and a Berkshire steam engine all made by Williams. I would like to be able to add command control to all of my engines such as TMCC or DCS. I haven't been able to find anyone who makes a kit that will allow me to add command control to them yet. I wanted to know if there are any companies who offer a kit that would upgrade Williams engines?

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows if Bachmann will be offering a command control system for their o scale line anytime soon? If not, is there any word from them that they might offer a command control upgrade kit that would work with Lionel TMCC or MTH DCS? I would appreciate any information on this subject.....Thanks

phillyreading

To add command control is not that hard to do but knowing where to get the kits might be a problem. Either DCS PS-2 or PS-3 kit should work with a Williams engine. TMCC or Legacy should work as well, or ERR upgrade kits for TMCC now that Lionel quit making TMCC. Any command control system that supplies D.C. voltage to the motors should work with Williams, as Williams has D.C. can motors installed in them.

Lee F.

vern1959

Hello Haawk77!
I have done 3 MTH DCS upgrades to Williams engines. The DCS PS2 upgrade kits are expensive and rather hard to find right now but MTH annonunced more kits are on the way at York last week. Look around online they are out there.
Williams can motors are excellent quality and the flywheels accomodate the required tach tape strip quite nicely. I especially enjoy the CP Trainmaster I updated with Mars lights, marker lights and interior cab lighting. Once you download the correct sound file from MTH and install it in the engine you have a "real" Trainmaster storming around your layout! Of course you need the DCS system to operate all the features and the cost of the Williams engine and the upgrade kit was about the same as buying a stock MTH PS2 engine but I really enjoyed the upgrade process and bringing the loco to life. Whether you install PS2, TMCC or an ERR kit I find the Williams engines rugged and easy to modify. Have fun with it!!
   Vern