News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine

Started by PACE, April 18, 2013, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PACE

Barry, I see the problem. The big gear attached to the wheels is split. The gear is plastic and the inner piece is just spinning. Is there a way to replace that gear, or would Dave's suggestion be better? If so, what should I order, and are there instruction on how to modify or install it?

Barry BBT

Pace,

The major problem is the design and age of your drive.  We can fix it, and then we'll fix it again, etc.

As I mentioned I think Dave gave the right answer, get the cheaper of the two drives and you'll have the best answer.

I was just thinking how much money we could have saved if Bachmann had had this offer ten years ago.

Barry

There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

PACE,

The Chassis for sale have a number CH-90____.   If you know the set number your locomotive came out of then look for that CH-900 number.  If you don't know then look at the pictures and choose one of the chassis looks the most like the one on your locomotive.  The only difference in the $30 chassis are the colors of paint on them the style of side rods and the length of the pilot(cowcatcher). 

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

PACE

The chassis for my loco would cost $50.00 on sale. It is the Christmas loco. All I need is the drive wheel gear. It is the plastic gear that is in the motor box. Bachmann is sold out of the motor box, maybe for 4 weeks. However if you have just the gear, I would be happy to purchase it from you.  Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

PACE
There were many Christmas locos to respond  you I would need to know what the set number was for the set your locomotive came in.  some sets have the $50 chassis and others have the $30 chassis.  Either way it is a bargain.

If you want to repair it yourself and keep the older chassis then Barry is the guy that can help the best with that.  
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

PACE

Thanks Bill. You are right, I would like to try to repair it first myself. If that does not work then I will get the chassis. Barry if you have this gear let me know how to order it from you. Thanks.

Barry BBT

Pace,

Please understand, we/I am not pushing a repair.  This drive is a bad design superseded by better designs and practices.  Fix if you must, but you will be back, no question.  Best buy the less expensive chassis offered by Bachmann. as I have said the Annie drive is virtually the same as the lower cost offering without having to modify the air cylinders.

Barry

Barry BBT

Pace,

I have any axle gear you may be looking for, but I need to know what drive you have.  If the axle gear is narrow (measure about 1/8" or 3/16" wide?).  Is the axle gear on one side of the axle or in the center?

Barry

PACE

Barry it's the 1/8, and the gear is on one side of the axle.

Thanks

Barry BBT

Pace,

No problem, but need to know where to send it.

Barry

623-936-6088

6822 W. Villa St
Phoenix, AZ 85043

barrysbigtrains@live.com

PACE

Thanks for the gears and the information, you know your trains. :)