Looking for info on O gauge engines

Started by zephyr guy, April 18, 2013, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zephyr guy

I have decided to move up to O gauge after 60 plus years in HO.

Wondering where I can get information on "True Blast II®" Is it just for the horn/whistle and bell? How do you activate it? Are there other engine sounds with Williams trains such as diesel motor sounds, steam engine chuffing, control of lights, automatic uncoupling, etc?

I have MTH DCS system with TMCC command base. Are the Williams engines compatible with this?

Thanks,
RAY

David

Why not try reposting this on the Williams discussion board?
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

Joe Satnik

Dear Ray,

In a previous post,

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21385.0.html

DominicMazoch says:

"I use TMCC in conv.(entional mode), and W/WBB bells and whistles work."

(Parenthesis added.)

Use the "search" button above on "DominicMazoch TMCC" for more details. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Quote from: zephyr guy on April 18, 2013, 05:55:31 PM
I have decided to move up to O gauge after 60 plus years in HO.

Wondering where I can get information on "True Blast II®" Is it just for the horn/whistle and bell? How do you activate it? Are there other engine sounds with Williams trains such as diesel motor sounds, steam engine chuffing, control of lights, automatic uncoupling, etc?

I have MTH DCS system with TMCC command base. Are the Williams engines compatible with this?

Thanks,
RAY
Williams will work with any transformer and does not have any command control features, unless added by the owner after Bachmann or Williams sold the item.

Williams by Bachmann uses the True Blast 2 sound system which is a diesel horn grade crossing sequence for diesels, and a steam whistle with grade crossing for steam engines and a bell feature for both. However you can only access one feature at a time with True Blast 2.
Bachmann/Williams is coming out with a newer polymorphic system for their brand new GP-30 diesel engines, if it is available for seperate sale; only time will tell.

FYI, no Williams has remote control opening of their couplers. A few operating cars will work anywhere on the track with the Williams or Williams/Bachmann remote control. Have no idea if command control by either Lionel or MTH will work with the Williams operating cars.

The older Williams before Bachmann in the Crown Edition have the best sound system in my opion! It has a QSI sound circuit and control circuit for the motors, with diesel revving sounds for the diesel engines and a horn/bell feature that will have the bell ringing at lower voltage with the whistle or horn button being pushed or will have the horn sound off at higher voltage.

Lee F.

phillyreading

A little further info on the True Blast 2 system; you activate with the horn or whistle control on your transformer, bell button works the bell. On some transformers you may have to hold the button for two to three seconds for the whistle or bell feature to activate. For best operation you will need a transformer with both horn and bell features, as the True Blast 2 works with two different signals for the True Blast 2 system.
A Williams 80 watt transformer or an MTH Z-1000, 100 watt transformer work very good with the True Blast 2 units.

A little side track note, if you use "Gargraves" track "All rails are insulated from each other!" There might be one or two other track systems that are insulated as well on all three rails.

Lee F.