News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco runs in reverse

Started by AndyJB, April 19, 2013, 03:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJB

I recently converted a loco to DCC and all is working well except it now runs the reverse way to the controller. i.e. when the controller is in "Forward" the loco runs backwards.
If I re-solder the red and black wires in the reverse order will that solve the problem?

AGSB

Depending on your DCC system it may be easier to change the CV(s) controlling direction. Check the documentation that came with the decoder to find out how it's done.

bapguy

Or you can programm CV29. What DCC system are you using? The CV value needs to be an odd value. This value depends on if the loco has a 2 digit address 01 to 127 or a 4 digit address 128 to 9999. Go to Tonys train exchange web site and search CV29. There you'll find a table. If you can read CV29 just add a 1 to the value. Joe

AndyJB

Thanks guys, I'll try re-programming CV29.

richg

FYI, if you do any more conversions.
Many locos have some kind of I.D. for the positive terminal on the motor. When that terminal has a plus polarity and the other terminal a negative polarity, the loco runs in the forward direction. I have seen a red dot on some loco motors that indicate this and I believe a couple I saw a plus marking.
Easy enough to determine if no marking, connect a 9 volt battery to both terminals and determine the forward direction while watching the drivers turn. Quite easy to do with the loco shell off before hooking up the decoder.
MAKE SURE, the decoder is not connected yet.

Rich

Ken G Price

I also think that changing CV29 is the easy solution.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/