News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New GP38 DCC on board

Started by dankoesterman, April 23, 2013, 08:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dankoesterman

Just recieved a new GB38 with DCC onboard, this is my first Bachmann engine, when i put it on the layout and increase the throttle the motor buzzs and will not move unless the throttle is at about full and the same for reverse, could this be a CV setting oir do you think it is deffective unit?

Thanks
Dan

jward

are you running this locomotive on dc or dcc? if you are running on dc, the dcc decoder circuitry needs about 5 volts before the locomotive starts to move. this is what it sounds like is happening here.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

dankoesterman

I have it on my DCC track, is there a way to switch it to DCC, is the default 03 for DCC?

cwmeeks

Sounds like it is jumpered for DC. In the directions does it tell you to change or remove a plug?

c ;D

bapguy

I believe this has the long DCC decoder board that has no DC jumper. Change CV2- starting voltage, Try around 20. Also, run the loco in a loop for 20 minutes at slow speed then half speed then full speed. Do the same in reverse. Joe

dankoesterman

I changed the cv 2 to 25 and it starts out way better but the buzz is still there as soon as you move the throttle the buzz is not there at a zero throttle setting.

dankoesterman

Thanks Joe I will try that, in your opionion will that eleminate the buzz or just run better?

jward

it should do both. most aftermarket decoders have "silent running" circuitry.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy

Changing to a better decoder will get rid of the buzz. I put a Tsunami sound decoder in my GP30. It runs great and no buzzing. Joe

dankoesterman

Thanks to all, I have a bachmann SD40 on the way should i just change that decoder also? if so maybe i should just order 4 or 5 Decoders.

richg

Go to the NCE site and download the manual for the BACH DSL decoder. All the instructions are in it.

Rich