News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Analog to DCC with Sound

Started by oljonb, April 23, 2013, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oljonb

I have a chance to purchase a nicely detailed analog mogul. What is involved to add DCC and Sound. Do I need both a DCC decoder and a SoundTraxx unit or is there a unit that combines both?

richg

Quote from: oljonb on April 23, 2013, 12:19:46 PM
I have a chance to purchase a nicely detailed analog mogul. What is involved to add DCC and Sound. Do I need both a DCC decoder and a SoundTraxx unit or is there a unit that combines both?

SoundTraxx sells a decoder that does both.
Please do your self a favor and go to the below site and do  lot of reading about the different options in DCC and sound. There are many, many different options.
The below fellow is a former DCC supplier and very active in the DCC community. Look at ALL his links as it sounds like you are very new to DCC and it is quite different than DC or the Lionel type trains which are AC.

The Curriculum and SoundTraxx links are a good start. Save the link to Favorites. You will need it.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

SoundTraxx site with a decoder selector page which includes Bachmann.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

Be advised, Bachmann on board SoundTraxx sound have less features than the SoundTraxx sound decoder you buy and install yourself. That keeps cost down. Also, Bachmann does not sell sound decoders. They only sell three sound "modules" for three specific Bachmann locos.
The CV documents show that very clearly so never assume with DCC. There are many variables.

Rich

oljonb

Thanks, Rich. Yes, I am relatively new to DCC, but amazed at it's convenience, flexibility and the quality of the sound produced. I now have several Bachmann On30 steam locos with sound just to play with as my current circumstances don't permit me the time to work on a layout.
  I guess I was approaching my question from the standpoint of having heard the term "DCC ready" and "analog" and did not know if one was exclusive or if there was a significant cost premium to have to add DCC and then a sound unit.
  For those of us who are not TOO critical yet, how much is the difference between the plug-n-play Tsunami units and the traditional units so far as sound quality. I'm thinking about the On30 2-4-4-2 and the Tsunami Plug-n-play unit. I have had, I think it's the SoundTraxx 100 (don't have it in front of me to be correct) installed and am quite pleased with the result, especially the sound of both sets of cylinders. I do have an issue regarding the water fill. On my basic Bachmann controller, I can satisfactorily access options 1-5 and the generator and light on 10, but not the water fill option. It was put in by an authorized installer. I plan to give SoundTraxx a call, but since I'm typing....

Jon

fm_tx

Jon,

The On30 Mogul is not DCC ready.  It is possible to install an aftermarket Soundtraxx decoder in the tender, however, you will need to take the boiler off the locomotive and route wiring from the tender to the motor.   All of this is doable, but you will need to be really careful if you have a nicely detailed Mogul.  I've done a few On30 Moguls.  There are step-by-step directions online if you search.  The boiler can be hard to get off (especially the first time), and the sand lines are easy to break.

As for Bachmann vs. Soundtraxx decoders, I prefer the Soundtraxx version.  I'm not sure there is much difference in the sound, but the Bachmann OEM version lacks the extra function wires available on the TSU-1000.  I'm not sure about the new 2-4-4-2 sound module, but the older Bachmann versions also lacked the equalizer, which I find is really useful to optimize and tune the sound.  Having said that, I've found that I can sometimes win a sound-equipped loco from The Favorite Spot for not much more than an aftermarket Soundtraxx decoder.  If all things were equal, I would prefer the aftermarket Soundtraxx decoder, but it is hard to justify the extra expense if you can get the Bachmann equipped sound cheap enough!

Paul

oljonb

Wisdom tells me to leave the installation to a professional. I'm at that point in life I have difficulty getting my socks on the right feet.... 

Seriously, I have found from experience the first attempt at something difficult and complicated is usually not fun.

On my Consolidation I replaced the cabbage head stack with the tapered stack. After some kind help from this site I was able to get the stack light and cable in place. But there was no hole in the stack for the fitting and without some coaching I doubt I would have found the hole in the cab front for the electric cable. Took me about three tries, after I had drilled the hole in the stock stack for the fitting, to work the electric line around the handrail and sand lines etc.

If I had someone to be on hand to tutor me that would be another matter.

Thanks  Jon

mabloodhound

I was going to mention Harold Minkiwitz's website but he has already posted it. 
Read how he did it...very helpful.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Steve Magee

For your first install I don't recommend the Mogul. It's doable, but the Mogul wasn't designed with DCC, let alone sound, in mind. It can certainly be done, but involves a fair bit of work. I added tender pick-ups to mine, installed a QSI HiBass 1.57" speaker and a Tsunami light steam decoder. I had to use an angle grinder to cut some channels in the chassis inside the cab to run motor control wires and front headlight wires.

It works OK but the Tsunami is going to be replaced with a Zimo (as are the Tsunamis in my 2-8-0 and inside frame 4-4-0) as I am disappointed in the motor control of the Tsunami. I have also put a QSI Titan into an outside frame 4-4-0 and this was a more satisfactory result than the Tsunami. By the same token, I won't replace the OEM Tsunamis in my B'mann sound locos. Why redo all Bachmanns hard work? :)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

oljonb

Steve, thanks for the advice. I will take it and let the Mogul stand. I really appreciate it. My philosophy is: I don't know what I don't know. Now I do, at least regarding sound and the Mogul.  Jon