News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis mystery

Started by vttrainguy, April 26, 2013, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vttrainguy

Hi all,
   Interesting problem popped up today with my Dynamis system.
   Used it earlier today and all was as it should be. Then came back a few hours later, powered up the command center, turned on the controller and SURPRISE all the loco addresses were gone !
   If I enter an address for a particular loco, that loco responds as it should with no loss of the CV' s as I had programmed them(except speed steps).  But I can no longer scroll through to select the loco I want, their assigned names/ addresses are gone. Also, the speed steps for all locos have reverted to 28 instead of the 128 I had them set at.
  I always hit Stop, then power off the hand set and lastly the command station.
  Is this operator error or a quirk with the system? Is there a simple recovery process, or must I reprogram all my locos?
  Any input will be Greatly Appreciated !!
  Thanks !
  Rick in NH

Stevelewis

You'll probably have to  re programme everything, it happened to  me some time  back with an approx 8month old unit,
It was eventually  returned to Bachmann UK  as it  failed  later  completely, it  was  replaced, but now  I only  use  the Dynamis very  occasionaly, for  programming  purposes  on the  kitchen counter!!

I use an alternative manufacturers  Radio controlled system  for  the 0n30 these days
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

railtwister

Hi vttrainguy,

I'm not that familiar with the Dynamis, does it have a battery in the Command Station/Booster to keep alive the memory that stores the system control settings when the unit is switched off (or unplugged), like Digitax and Lenz both have (not sure about NCE)? If so, it might need replacing.

Bill in FtL

TimR

Hi Rick,

I'm pretty sure that, in the case of a standard Dynamis system (i.e. NOT with a ProBox), the roster is stored in the handset. In the case of a ProBox system, those instructions say the rosters are stored in the ProBox and need to be uploaded (or updated) to the multiple handsets.

That being assumed for the moment, if you have the basic Dynamis as I do, the handset should be storing the roster. In my own experience, I have not had the roster disappear. That said, I don't think I have ever programmed more than 7 or 8 locos into it. I cannot say that has anything to do with it, just a comment. I do give the locos unique names and they do stay. I also take out the batteries in the handset when I don't use it for long periods. (like a few months) The only other habit I have that may be remarkable is that I always unplug power to the receiver when I'm not using it.

So I'm only responding to this as a fellow Dynamis user with a different experience than what you are describing. I hope you are able to sort it out and best of luck! Let us know how you make out.

Stevelewis

It is always a good idea to remove the batteries  when  not in use even for shorter periods ( a day or 2 perhaps) I was advised by a dealer over  here that  keeping the battery springs compressed for long periods was reducing the efficacy of the  springs which inturn carry the power to the pcb,( I ie the contact was being compromised)

vttrainguy

Thanks all for the feedback!
  No probox just the basic system. At this point, it has happened three times. The last two while I was operating !!!! Running along, suddenly won't respond to command, kicks speed steps back to 28 and then goes to Stop. Restart and all memory is gone.....except if you enter a loco address it is still there, CV settings are what they had been set to, EXCEPT speed steps which have reverted to 28 !!!
  Bill, there are no batteries in the command stations.
  Steve, if the batteries can't stay in the hand set for more than a few hours, then the contacts must have been made from the same outstanding materials as the Shay, et al ,gear sets !!!!!!!! ??? ???
  I guess I will pack it up and ship it to Philly ! So disappointing !

Rick

TimR

That's a shame, Rick. It does sound like a faulty unit based on your description of the issue. Wish I could offer some more troubleshooting tips for you but I'm all out of gumdrops.  :(

Stevelewis

Rick

Yes  its  a fact  if the Batteries  are  left in situ for a long period then the springiness  of the springs is reduced thus  compromising the power circuit's continuity,  I had the  srpings replaced in one of my units  by Bachmann over here in the UK and I know  of a couple of others who had problems of a similar nature.

Thats why I only  use it for the occasional programming these days!

Interestingly  though in all the years  I have been in 0n30 (since the range  was first  launched)  and purchased many locomotives  I have only had one  gear  problem!  That was a Shay  which  when opened on delivery (new) was found to have loose gears in the box! it was presumed to have been damaged in transit....................and replaced without question

vttrainguy

Hi Steve,
   Regarding the gear issues, there does seem to be no rhyme or reason to it.
   My experience : 2 Shays, both with cracked gears; 2 Climaxes, run great, no problems; 4 Railtrucks, ALL with cracked gears - 3 right out of the box; 3 Davenports, no problems, love them; 1 Railbus set, "square gears", obviously ready to fail, just no run time on it.
   I love the detail, the availability of these models is a huge boost to On30 and when they do run it is great!
   I look forward to Bachmann' s addressing of the gear issues come June 1, just hope I get all the parts needed to upgrade my "fleet" !
   And to anyone hesitating on the Heisler, DON'T ! Great looking loco and runs very well.
Rick