MIN RADIUS?? Spectrum N Scale Train Diesel GE Dash 8-40C DCC Ready CSX 85059

Started by timhar47, May 02, 2013, 12:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

I have now just seen this for sale online, and all sources so far state that the minimum radius recommended is 19 INCH???? Is that for real? That's mostly humongous for N gauge. I mean even 15 is usually the largest most small layouts can handle. I was just wondering if this is a typo?

Mr Bachmann or anyone have a verify?

James in FL

HI timhar47,

I have 2 from the first release and 1 from the second.
I do not have this latest version.
I do not know if Bachmann has revised the mechanism from the 2004 offering. Spookshow makes no mention of it.
If the mechanism is the same, as the '04 version, I can say it will run comfortably on 11¼r. Both versions I have will. I have not tried them on anything tighter.

Good luck

skipgear

Quote from: timhar47 on May 02, 2013, 12:04:54 AM
I have now just seen this for sale online, and all sources so far state that the minimum radius recommended is 19 INCH???? Is that for real? That's mostly humongous for N gauge. I mean even 15 is usually the largest most small layouts can handle. I was just wondering if this is a typo?

Mr Bachmann or anyone have a verify?

They will run fine on 11 1/4.

19" is not really "humongous" for N. That happens to be around the size of the Ntrak minimum radius. The issue is that large 6 axle diesels are "humongous" for a small layout. A small layout looks best with 4 axle diesel and short wheelbase steam. Pretty much the norm for minimum radius when designing a layout anymore is 14-15".
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950