Pacific Northern

Doneldon

844-

There are a couple of versions of these made by different manufacturers. Check
the Walthers catalog. I think the one cited by PacNo might be the only hinged
one around.
                     -- D

Jerrys HO

My question is why would you want to derail your train? I worked too hard to get them to stay on!!!!  ;D

Jerry

jward

peco makes a single point type derail. it works like a regular switch, and would be easier to use on a model railroad than the type that fits over the rail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Catt

Derailers are used on sidings the are connected to mainline trackage.The reason being if a freight car gets loose the derailer will derail the car before it can get to the mainline and cause a wreck.

richg

Make your own. Simple enough. Be different.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on May 05, 2013, 11:11:52 AM
Make your own. Simple enough. Be different.

Rich

These were very, very common in the UK, you'd see them or versions of them at every single location where there was a freight, or passenger car yard or on runaround loops, storage sidings in stations, anywhere where access from a non running line to a running line was required.  Practically every station with a "goods yard" had them.
h

You can tell by the chewed up ties on the right hand side that this one has been used, maybe a couple of times.  :)

andrewd

quick question what's a derailleur and what does it do????

Jerrys HO

andrewd

read the whole post. richg,catt and roger covered what they are and why they are used. if you need more info it can be found by using google.

Jerry

andrewd

I'm still confused I don't need derailleurs on my layout so why do you or anyone else I mean sure they would be good to have along but wouldn't get a little annoying after a while to have a car derail on perpus 

RAM

In the real world a derailleur is to keep a car or cars from rolling out of a siding onto the main line.  Like in the real world the switch crew most check to see the the derailleur is not in place, or closed.  I don't know any one that uses them on a model, but they could.

richg

Quote from: andrewd on August 03, 2013, 09:30:30 AM
I'm still confused I don't need derailleurs on my layout so why do you or anyone else I mean sure they would be good to have along but wouldn't get a little annoying after a while to have a car derail on perpus 

It should be obvious by now, this is model railroading.

Rich

rogertra

Derail guys, it's "derail".

A "derailleur" is a propriety system for shifting gears on a bicycle.

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on August 03, 2013, 04:30:03 PM
In the real world a derailleur is to keep a car or cars from rolling out of a siding onto the main line.  Like in the real world the switch crew most check to see the the derailleur is not in place, or closed.  I don't know any one that uses them on a model, but they could.

In the real world, the purpose of a Derailleur is to shift gears on a bicycle.  :)