Neat and orderly way to bundle wires .

Started by HOART, May 07, 2013, 08:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOART

Yes,I am sort of a neat freak .However ,each time I picked up my Bachmann DCC Control Center I always had two wires come along with it .I had them taped together until I discovered 1/4" split loom would not only look very neat but do an excellent job of holding them together .Loom comes in a number of sizes .1/4"fit two wires perfect . It is very inexpensive and comes in different lengths .It is  flexible plastic tubing with a split in it .All you do is open the split and push in the wires .Maybe this is well known to some of you .It was not to me .It should be sold at places that sell automotive wiring .Maybe even sound systems .I found mine on Ebay .Hope this helps someone .Feel free to email me for additional information . Art

richg

A picture is worth a thousand words. Also, a visual presentation will show you what he means.
You might even find a link or two to put in Favorites.

http://tinyurl.com/cpc7dga

Rich

jbrock27

I am glad for Rich's picture, bc I would not have known what you were referring to Art. 

These are also available at WalMart.
Keep Calm and Carry On

HOART

Sorry I can not attach pictures .Send me your email address through personal message or direct and I will send several pictures showing the 1/4" loom and how I have used it . Art

richg

Quote from: HOART on May 08, 2013, 11:36:14 AM
Sorry I can not attach pictures .Send me your email address through personal message or direct and I will send several pictures showing the 1/4" loom and how I have used it . Art

Very easy to attach pictures. Many here use Photo Bucket.

http://photobucket.com/

Copy and paste the fourth link in Photo Bucket, IMG into a forum message. A picture will always help a lot to eliminate confusion.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, below is a Screen shot I just made and uploaded to Photo Bucket. You can see the IMG link you have to copy and paste into a message.

Rich

JerryB

HOART:

Here is a link to the post you made asking about posting pix. Not certain if you saw the replies:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23637.0.html

Flikr & PhotoBucket are both free, easy to use and safe.

Let us know if you need more help.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

GG1onFordsDTandI

Split plastic conduit is also available almost everywhere wire is, stereo shops, to the dollar store. Autoparts stores are my favorite source(I rat-rod), often found in many colors there too, even chrome and anodized. Using Velcro ties is my favorite way to bundle. It allows you to add or subtract new wires easily, even color mark bundles. HOART, Murphy says eventually wires migrate out the slits, a good wrap of electric tape, bread-tie, small zip-tie, etc.., around just the tubing, near its end, will solve most of that. And if its never neat enough, if you look, I think you can find "clamps and brackets" specially made to hold that stuff better. Examples? Just look under the hood of almost any car.

Len

I just use screw eyes and wire shower curtain holders. Run the screw eyes into the under surface of the bench work, then feed a show curtain holder through it. Open the holder to add wires, close it to keep them in place. Makes it easy to trace wire out when necessary too.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Len, that certainly seems like a great technique that would keep one from putting a staple through a wire, trying to secure it to the layout board.
Keep Calm and Carry On

HOART

Thanks for all the good ideas ! I only use the split loom stuff to keep the two wires  together going to two Bachmann controllers ,mostly the EZ Command Center since I need to pick it up to use it .Again,THANKS ! Art

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on May 09, 2013, 12:47:29 PM
Len, that certainly seems like a great technique that would keep one from putting a staple through a wire, trying to secure it to the layout board.

Actually, I got the idea from one of those '101 Tips' type books back in the '60s.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

One of those things that have stood the test of time Len!
Keep Calm and Carry On