News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Front Coupler on 4-6-0

Started by Joe Zullo, May 23, 2013, 02:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

I do want to do more videos, but the time involved keeps getting in the way, I do some with my son in Denver.

Here is a link to movies He or I made of his layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMN1B_sENBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Y5fJGrJ3k

Here is a new one we did with 2 units on the front and two mid train with me controlling the lead units and him controlling the mid train units  41 cars I think.   the train in full dynamic brakes was pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkz9PRJ7Q0

He also is big in Bachmann 1:20.3 and AMS but only filmed one short runby.  We did a lot more video but it is raw and he has not had time due to his job to get more posted.

I will try to get more up as summer goes on.  I appreciate your nice comments!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Bill,

Thank you for the videos. They inspired me to give it a try last night, so I modified one of my 4-6-0's with a working and lowered coupler. I took a couple of locos and 4 coaches out to the RR this morning for a test run. It works fine on my 10' diameter main line. The bad news is, it is a train wreck (pun intended) trying to get through an R1 turnout to my 8' diameter loop. I think I'll restrict it to a main line operation only. Thanks for all your help. Here is a video I made this AM to show you it works....

http://youtu.be/93l-nYDjz2A

GG1onFordsDTandI

Thanks Bill ;D The snow plow is too cool 8) Found my way to some other videos of that "layout" too. I think I may have seen them before but was loving seeing them again. I have been dabbling in other scales lately but not liking them as much. My norm is 3r O & 0-27 PW, plus some new stuff. The G's look funner than the others, not to mention involving the great outdoors. Congratulations! :D You have me looking out for a yard sale special in G now. Z,N,HO,S, all that little stuff is just too............................
....... little :-\.
You should start a tour-able photobucket account, webpage, or something. Somewhere to store them all in one place Youtube organizing can be kinda sketchy for finding stuff ???. Just an idea ;).

Thanks again for taking time and sharing Bill.
and thank you Joe for allowing the "semi thread hijacking" :-*

Loco Bill Canelos

Joe, nice video, I loved the music, The train was great too.  Glad the front coupler worked out.   It looked pretty darn good to me.  I was wondering if it would make it around the 8 foot main line if it did not have to go thru the R1 switches.  If you get the chance try it and let us know.

Bill

GG1onFordsDTandI,

glad you enjoyed the videos.  Get into large scale and you will never go back 8) ;D :P

Bill

Joe Zullo

Bill,

Got out early this AM to try the 4-6-0 lashup on my 8' diameter curves. It works! Still could not get through my R1 turnouts even with a heavily weighted tender on the lead loco going forward or reverse. There is just too much swing on that trailing locos front coupler.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Joe,

Thanks to you we now know it works on 8 foot diameter, but not thru R1 switches.  Too bad you don't have 10 foot dia wide radius switches at least between the inner and outer loop.  I looked back at your video, but really could not see your inner to out switches, so I could not tell if you could substitute the wide radius switches very easily.  I suspect it would work though.   

I noticed in your video that you have a R1 leading to a siding, do you think it would it go thru just the one switch if the track after the switch was all straight?   I suspect no, but I was surprised it made it around the eight foot dia main.

In any case doubleheading was a mainline operation on most railroads anyway.  A train would have the second loco at the helper station back on to the front of the train.

Joe Zullo

Bill,

I tried going into and out of the siding. No joy. The rear truck of the lead loco tender is derailed as the front of the rear loco enters the divergent rails. It's just too sharp a turn going through an R1 turnout.