News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Track

Started by M1FredQ, May 06, 2013, 10:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

My son and I have Bachmann HO and O gauge trains.

For Christmas we run the G-Scale around the Christmas Tree. Since we are in the process of re-doing the O-Gauge layout I set up the G-Scale for my son to run and remembered how frustrating it is to assemble the track using those practically micro small screws.

I was just wondering if Bachmann Large Scale has a system like easy track or Fas-Track for Large scale. If they did I would switch in a New York minute

Kevin Strong

Alas, nothing like that exists in large scale. For all practical purposes, though, you don't need the screws for temporary ('round the Christmas tree) kinds of displays. So long as the ends of the rails are clean, the fishplates typically provide ample electrical conductivity for most applications. It's only when you move outdoors where you have water and dirt that will work its way into the rail joints that the screws or rail clamps become almost necessary.

Later,

K

grsman

I don't use it, but doesn't Bachmann indoor steel track just plug together without using screws?
If you are setting this up indoors, I don't know why you can't use that. Maybe someone who knows
more about the indoor track can comment. It is available quite reasonable from The Favorite Spot
on EBay. They are a good and reliable Bachmann dealer.
Tom

JerryB

As Kevin wrote, there is no track available with attached roadbed in 45mm gauge.

I believe that only one 45mm gauge track manufacturer (NOT Bachmann) uses those screws in their track joiner system. All others use slip joiners. The slip joiners are perfectly fine for temporary indoor layouts.

And as Tom pointed out, the Bachmann steel track is really inexpensive, as it is unsuitable for outdoor use. Many folks that start with a Bachmann set containing the steel track just give it away when they move outdoors.

It would be perfectly fine for use on your indoor temporary layout.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

M1FredQ

Thanks for the help and saving me a lot of time.

I'll check out the Favorite Spot.

Ironically there is a spot on the patio we cleared and I can use the LGB track outside and leave it there.

Thanks again sounds like the Bachmann track is the way to go!!!!!

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

There is such thing as g roadbed, but it is very expensive. 

A less expensive alternative for indoors is also shown here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=lgb+roadbed&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Kevin reviewed it in Garden Railways Oct 2005:

http://trc.trains.com/Train%20Magazine%20Index.aspx?view=SearchResults&q=lgb+roadbed

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

M1FredQ

Hi Joe
Since i have your attention.

What transformer do you recommend for LARGE scale?

I have one that came with an Aristocraft starterset. Since I have a couple locomotives that come with railsounds and engine sounds the basic one I have has no provision to engage those features.

Thanks for the track help!!!!

Joe Satnik

Hi, Fred.

I defer to others more knowledgeable in LS power packs beyond starter sets.   

If you have one of Bachmann's recent starter set Large Scale power packs,

it wouldn't hurt if you put voltage dropping diodes or diode bridges on its output to the track.

Contact me off board if you want more details. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill Canelos

Locos with railsounds may be made by Lionel.  If your locos are lionel you may want to check with their web forum to see how to activate the sounds.  I have no idea how the Lionel system works, I only saw one once and the engine sounds seem to work automatically when the power was increased, but I never saw how the other sounds were triggered. 

Any Transformer with 3 to five amp rating shoud be OK.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

M1FredQ

Hi Loco Bill

I have a USA GP-38 and Aristocraft RS-3 if that helps both G-Scale

Loco Bill Canelos

They are definitely not Lionel, do you know what brand of sound system they have in them??

Many sound systems work entirely by changes in voltage.  Add a little power and the sound of an idling engine come on,  on starting forward there may be two toots and an increase in sound and the bell may ring, as higher voltages (running speed) bell shuts off.  At running speed a quick increase in voltage can trigger the road crossing horn sounds and so forth.  I suspect what you have is something like what I said, but your locomotives do not come with sound installed, it must be added afterwards.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

M1FredQ

Loco Bill

Sorry for long delays. Lots of baseball going on. 3 of my 5 kids are playing this year.

I will check to see what sound systems these locomotives have. The fella down in Florida where I bought the GP-38 is good about finding info for me. The Aristocraft RS-3 I will have to ask around or see what I come up with
I was reading through the Bachmann catalog late last night and found they DO sell a power unit for large scale. Is this one I should think about. BUT looking at the picture I didn't see any switch or button to activate the sound systems on the Locomotives.
For Memorial Day I wanted to have the Large Scale set up on the patio outside so the kids could stay outside the "Railsounds" would keep them busy if I could have it by then.

JerryB

M1FredQ:

"Railsounds" is a trademarked name owned by Lionel LLC. Here is a link to the trademark information:

http://www.markhound.com/trademark/search/co6pcXu1k

I assume you are using the word "Railsounds" to describe some unknown sound system that is in the locomotives you have. That is confusing to all, as the real Railsounds system needs a special Railsounds controller (again from Lionel or a Lionel compatible supplier) to operate. Railsounds units are most often factory installed in 0-scale Lionel equipment. Although a small possibility, it is unlikely that the sound systems in your large scale locomotives are actually Lionel Railsounds units.

Bachmann's off the shelf controllers will not operate a Railsounds unit. Most if not all non-Lionel power supplies / controllers will NOT operate the Railsounds sound units.

You need to open the locomotives and find out what sound system they are actually equipped with, then find a control system that is compatible with your actual sound systems.

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Chuck N

Fred:

As far as I know neither of those engines came with factory sound.  You will have to go into the engines to establish who made the sound modules.  In all likely hood it will be either Sierra, or Phoenix.  There are other units out there, but most of them are fairly recent. 

As far as a power supply goes, get the largest (amp) wise you can afford.  5 amps should be a minimum, 10 would be better.  It is not uncommon for a passenger train with lights and a couple of diesels pulling it to exceed 5 amps.  "G" gauge railroads tend to expand with time.  Longer trains, more bells, whistles, smoke, lights, etc.  it all takes power.  Buy once, not twice.  Been there, done that. 

There are a number of excellent power supplies out there, find a local group and talk to them. 

Chuck

M1FredQ

Dear Jerry and Chuch

Thanks very much for your input.

When I used the word Railsounds I meant in a generic way as you fiqured I was using it. I  was unaware it was a trademarked name. I appreciate setting me straight.

I'll just have to get the Locomotive on my work-desk and open it up to see what's inside.
I'll have to do some "brain-picking" like you said to find the right power source because you are correct. Now that I have it outside on the patio I sure can use a few more RR cars. Because kids like Gondolas to put "stuff" in and flat cars for adult beverage transport. And I would like to have some lighting when it gets dark. I hope I can some of this before the weekend!!

Thanks again everyone!!!!