News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnouts

Started by longhaul, May 06, 2013, 08:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhaul

I have a section that uses 6 pieces of 18 radius track making a 180 turn. Can I remove the 2 end pieces and replace the with a left and right turnout to make a inner run?
longhaul

Joe Satnik

Dear longhaul,

Yes.

That is called an "Early Cutoff" configuration.

Add four 18" radius curves, a right remote turnout and a left remote turnout.

There are some variations in Bachmann HO Scale E-Z Track. 

What color is your present track roadbed, gray or black?

Are you controlling your trains with regular power packs (included with most train sets), or are you using DCC?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

long-

You can do this if you use turnouts labeled as "switch," but not turnouts labeled as a "turnout" with a number indicating the severity of the divergence. That probably sounds a bit goofy but it's true. "Switches" essentially use part of a curved track section of 18-inch radius for their diverging route. True turnouts use a straight track set at an angle for the diverging route.

Since the extent of divergence of a true turnout doesn't match the extent of divergence of a "switch" (that 18-inch radius), you won't get a full 180o turnback curve if you use turnouts on one or both ends of a curve. One can compensate for this by using short sections of curved track (18-inch radius would be the natural but not compulsory choice) but I don't think it can be done unless one cuts a custom length piece of curved track. I'm pretty sure that there are no ready-cut lengths which will do the job. Also, the length of the added curved track would need to be different depending on what number turnout is deployed and whether one or two turnouts are used.

This isn't as complicated as it may sound. Go ahead and tinker with it and you'll manage to get things arranged to your liking.

-- D

longhaul

Hi Joe, thanks for the info, I have black steel ez track that came with the set and  the same with the power pack. I have a small layout and wanted the loop so I could set up a train station off the main line. I am fairly new to railroading and eventually will go to the dcc control but want to get a layout in place first.
thanks again.
Larry (longhaul)

Jerrys HO

longhaul

If you are planning on going to DCC, you may want to consider going with nickle-silver (the grey roadbed track) for the longhaul ;D before you get your layout in place. It conducts better than the steel rail and a lot less cleaning will be required.
Search the forum for a lot on this issue and other's to help you have a great running layout.

Jerry

Joe Satnik

Dear longhaul,

Your starter set track is just that.  

If you plan on going no further with your layout than adding this one early cutoff,

then (match your colors and) go with black roadbed/steel rail turnouts and track.

If you think that you will expand further, and go deeper into the hobby,

then I suggest nickel-silver/gray roadbed, which is more expensive,

but has a much larger variety of pieces, has better electrical conductivity, and is easier to solder to if needed.

Eventually you would retire, sell or use the steel/black track as hidden storage track.

Get a print catalog, download the print catalog (pdf), go to your local hobby shop (LHS) or use the online store here to find your track.

Track is also for sale at various places on the web, including on-line auction sites.  

Nickel-Silver/gray roadbed:

18"R x 30 degree curves 44501(4pk) or 44580(bulk)

Remote turnout left 44561

Remote turnout right  44562

Steel/black roadbed:

18"R x 30 degree curves: 44401(4pk) or 44480(bulk)

Remote turnout left 44461

Remote turnout right  44462

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

longhaul

Thanks again Joe,,
Larry