minimum radius curves and rail height

Started by oneancientone, April 04, 2013, 03:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneancientone

Hello! I'm new to this forum. I was really into model railroading about 40 (yes...40!) years ago. I've always wanted to get back into it some day. My five year-old grandson is CRAZY about Thomas and his friends (me too!). So...here we go again! I do have two questions (and I apologize if I somehow looked past the answers elsewhere on this forum). First, what is the recommended minimum radius curve for the larger H.O. locomotives, like Gordon? Second, what is the minimum recommended rail height for these particular H.O. locos and cars? Forty years ago, Code 100 was pretty common; Code 70 was starting to make inroads. Now I see quite a bit of Code 83. What's best for Thomas and friends? Thanks!

oneancientone

mrrailroad

For Gordon do not do 15 radius. I'm not sure the other members can clear it up but i think the minimum for gordon is 18 radius
my website for all garden train fans
http://gardentrains.webs.com/

my website for all model trains
http://usamodeltrains.webs.com/

jward

I don't have Gordon but I do have henry and he'll take a 18r curve. I also run on code 83 rail with no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

SodorAdventures

As I always say, nothing less than 18 inch radii. I swear by that. AND code 83= Best for price.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

oneancientone

Thank you very much, to all who responded. Very, very helpful!

oneancientone

HO-TrainsRFun

Hi oneancientone,

I am fairly new to model railroading myself - past 6 months.  But I have put together a fairly large collection of engines, vans, trucks, mail cars, coaches, destinations, etc. - Thomas and non Thomas.

I have all the engines except for Duck.  I have all the coaches too and all of the Thomas rolling stock.  I run long trains on 18" radius EZ-Track with many turnouts (switches) and overall I do not have problems with derailment as long as the track is laid out smoothly.  The EZ-Track switches do give problems once in a while though and will tend to stick or not properly line-up (checkout other forums/YouTube for others have similar problems and how to solve).

Having said the above, let me try to answer the question from what I have learned:

1.  EZ track - comes with Thomas sets, is code 100 and can be hooked on to Atlas HO Code 100 track as well.  If you plan to ballast your track, then code 83 might be too low and you might get derailments or even worse, debris in your engines' gears from any loose ballast.  This of course also depends on your ballasting skill.  I have not put ballast on my EZ-Track layout but may decide to do so in the near future.

2. 18" radius is the minimum you should run with "Tender" engines as well as longer engines such as Gordon.  22" radius is even better.  One of the consideration for curve radius is also the length of the coaches - in particular Gordon's or Spencer's coaches - especially if you are going to string along three coaches and a brake van.  Having a 22" radius allows better placement of buildings and built-ups (destinations) without having to move back the buildings so the coaches don't scrape along them on curves.  However you do need to have longer lead time prior to setting up a turnout coming just after a turn/loop.  Of course space is also a consideration as 22" radius will take more space/width on the turns.  BTW, you can also use longer turnouts (Bachman's EZ Track's #5 or #6) rather than the traditional #4 turnout.  This will give you smoother results on shorter wheelbase as well as long wheelbase rolling stock.

3.  Emily is the most finicky engine where the tender will derail when hitting a turnout to a branch line or to a destination, but will re-align if hitting another turnout to rejoin the main - as in pulling into and out of Knapford Station.

4.  Gordon and other tender engines have to slow down on a layout when hitting the turnout, though I can run Henry, James, and Edward at full throttle without derailments once the track has settled into its natural place.  This is true in real life as well - trains do slow down on complex turnouts.  Also, backing up the trains with multiple stock/coaches will most likely result in derailment - even on properly set turnouts/switches - see #5 below.

5.  Most of the derailments happen with multiple coaches (long coaches on 18" radius track) with long engines.  This is not really a radius issue alone but a combination of radius and hook and loop coupler issue.  on multiple tight curves, especially when going off the main line to a branch line and hitting multiple turnouts. The couples will tend to lock, thereby causing pull on the coaches and the tender, resulting in a coach not easily following through. And bam - derailment.  This is similar to what happens when you string too many trucks on Thomas and Friends blue track (Tomy) or the newer Track Master and you go up a hill or multiple curves.

6.  Some of the lighter rolling stock and even tenders (James and Edward) that are light in weight, will have derailment issues at high speed if you have turnouts.  This is because they tend to bounce due to low weight when they hit a turnout.  You can add fishing weights to make them heavier - may have to open up the covers so be careful.

I hope the above detail is not too verbose or boring and is helpful in getting some detailed answers for you as you build your layout.  Have fun and good luck! :)