News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Wire Busses

Started by ebtbob, August 18, 2007, 07:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I use 12 gauge wire for my busses and have a simple question.   Where my yard buss runs,  under the layout,   I may be faced into forming a T so that the buss can be attached to the panel where my power shields are located.   Am I asking for trouble by splicing wire into the buss?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

No; because you are talking about AC for one thing; for another, you are, in reality, parallelling your conductors anyway.  Make sure of your connections-double-check your wiring always-and do a correct job of either soldering or suitcase applicaton.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Jay

I agree with Rich.  And ensuring that your connections are done well will save alot of troubleshooting later on down the line.  Good information Rich!
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

ebtbob

Thanks guys,   the buss wiring is completed and about 1/3 of the mainline wiring is finished.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtnut

Rich mentioned suitcase connectors.  Are you all familiar with what they are?  They are a mechanical splice device that requires no solder.  They come in a variety of sizes to accommodate most any wire connection you need.  We used them on our old club and they really made wiring a lot less of a chore.

ebtbob

I am aware of them and do not like them.  You have to be extremely careful on how you crimp them.  I tried 10 of them on my On30 railroad and 8 did not make contact.   My club has banned them.   I prefer to solder the wires together.   My original post was because I was concerned about soldering the wires together,  not in light of currect flow as much as the signals going thru the wire to the command station.   Anyway....my question was answered,  busses are in place and half of the rewire job is almost done.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

SteamGene

Just in case some don't know it, there is a wire stripper which works in the middle of the wire, making it very quick and easy to strip a bit of insulation from the buss to allow a feeder to connect to it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

^Could you post a link to those? I could use a pair!  ;D
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Mike

Yse! Please. Me, too!- Mike S.

SteamGene

Go to Harbor Freight.  If you want to help the B&O Museum, do a Goodsearch under B&O, but since they don't seem to want to help themselves, it's >>www.harborfreight.com<<. :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtbob

Gene,

I went to your link,  and looked at the pictured tools and maybe I missed something.   I went to the search box and typed in wire strippers.  When the list of tools came up with pix,  the second one down called the heavy duty automatic wire stripper is like the tool I use.   The jaws have a series of holes in them.   Pick the right hole and in the middle of a buss wire I can separate the cover and expose a 1/8 to 1/4 inch area of wire to attach track leads to.   If you pick a hole too small,  the tool will sever the wire.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

SteamGene

Bob,
The one I have has a yellow handle and looks very much like a regular wire stripper.  But the jaws strip the wire from the center, without having to put the wire through a hole.  It is possible to cut the wire.  I've done that two or three times, each time in an awkward place to hold the tool and also when I was just learing to use the tool.
Try searching for a local store - they have quite a few - and call a human being.  That's what I did.  "I need the stripper that lets me take insulation off the middle of a piece of wire."  I'll look at the tool later and see if there is a product number or anything on it.  Unfortunately the packaging is long gone.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Bob and Gene;
Three manufacturers come to mind:
Ideal, Xuron, and Vaco.  These are a tool line that are oriented around electrical work.  You might want to peruse a Klein catalogue, also.  With the exception of Xuron, these other lines can be found in your friendly neighborhood electrical supply house.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ebtbob

Good Afternoon All,

I have two different styles of the Strip Master with different jaws.   One I use to create an opening in the insulation of the buss wires.   The other is used for everything else.   
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

SteamGene

That's it, Bob.  One strips the ends easily and WILL strip the middle, sometimes.  The other stirps the middle easily. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat