News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke unit

Started by jerrskog, May 15, 2013, 05:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrskog

I have a Williams Berkshire 2-8-4 stock #BERK116. The smoke unit is not working. It says  it has a seuthe smoke unit. Where can I get a replacement?

richg

Did you check the Parts Page?

Rich

phillyreading

You should be able to get a seuthe smoke unit from the parts people. I replaced one on an S-2 steamer, be sure to get it with the wire harness piece that fits into the circuit board or you will have to cut and solder wires.
To remove the seuthe unit from the smoke stack you just push it out, might be a little tough at first but it is just pushed in. Also make sure it has no smoke fluid in it before you remove it.

Lee F.

jerrskog

I ordered and installed the Bachmann recommended smoke unit. It was different than the original and did smoke a little. It is the worst smoke unit I have ever seen. If puffs very little smoke. A waste of $25!

phillyreading

See if Joe S. can help you with an electronic circuit or a few parts to decrease voltage to the motor and that should give you more smoke from the smoke unit.
He is on this forum as well.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jerrskog

Dear Joe:
       I didn't see anything at that site reference regarding the smoke unit.
Thanks,    Jerry

Joe Satnik

Hi, Jerry.

Reducing the voltage to the motor (but not the rest of the loco) means that you will have to increase the voltage to the tracks

(raise the throttle setting) to keep the same speed. 

An increase in voltage to the tracks gives you brighter headlights, brighter passenger car interior lights,

and more power to the smoke unit, which will run hotter and produce more smoke.

As an added bonus, you will have better low speed control.

The only disadvantage is that your top speed may be reduced from 147 scale mph (Classic Toy Trains review, Dec. 2001)

down to perhaps 120 scale mph. 

To put that into perspective, the max operating speed of the Acela Express is 150 mph, but averages 70 mph in the Northeast Corridor. 

According to Wiki, "... (the Acela trains) rarely exceed 60 mph at any time through Connecticut until reaching New Haven.

Ironically much of this track runs parallel to the highway so Acela passengers can see automobile traffic passing by often at 70 mph. " (End quote.)

As an alternative, you could install an aftermarket voltage-regulated smoke unit.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.