News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Value of Bachmann Train Sets

Started by Charles Baldeck, August 25, 2007, 07:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Baldeck

I have three Bachmann trains sets that were my Fathers. I would like to determine the value of each of them. Where might I go for this information?
Thank you in advance,
CFB

conradin

Can you identify what they are, are they in original packaging, had they been played with before?  etc?

Hunt

Check eBay for what folks are paying for the same or similar Bachmann trains sets.

Old Bachmann trains set are of little value. If you have an interest and space… set them up and enjoy them.

Craig

Quote from: Hunt on August 25, 2007, 08:04:47 PM
Check eBay for what folks are paying for the same or similar Bachmann trains sets.

Old Bachmann trains set are of little value. If you have an interest and space… set them up and enjoy them.

I second that. If you are not interested in model railroading then use them to get some children involved in model railroading and further your father's legacy.

Charles Baldeck

Thank you very much for the replies. CFB

Paul M.

www.ebay.com

Toys and Hobbies

Model Railroading

Whatever scale you trains are

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Loco Bill Canelos

Charles, If they are G or large Scale sets such as the Big Hauler I can probably get you some good info from my database on recent sales.   State the scale and the Bachmann Item number on the set box and I will see if I can help.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

macmack

What about "The George Washington" Spectrum set that was released a few years ago (I purchesed one)?  I haven't seen any for quite some time now, not even on eBay.

SteamGene

The George was essentially a quality set - Spectrum quality.  There are currently Spectrum sets offered by Bachmann.  But the question was for sets owned by the asker's father.  Somehow I don't think they are the George, or the Cardinal, or any othe Spectrum set.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

macmack

I understand that the original question was about his father's train sets.  However, I was asking the value of my train set without having to start a new topic line as there was already topic on "value of Bachmann train sets".  I thought in my previous post it was obvious that I was asking a question.

SteamGene

Sorry.  Well, I'd have a hard time parting with my George.  How much would you take to sell it? Assumng you don't need the money for an emergency operation, or something like that.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

macmack

I'm not interested in selling it.  I was just curious as to what the value might be since I have not seen one anywhere in such a long time.  I know these prices seem to fluctuate every few years.  My father has a 20-25 year old  factory sealed Lionel "Nickel Plate Special" set that I have seen sell on eBay for around $1600 (factory sealed) about 5 or 6 years ago, just a few months ago the same set wouldn't set for $200 (also factory sealed.)

Thanks,

Chris M.

macmack

Also, any idea on how many George sets were made?

Thanks,

Chris M.

r.cprmier

If you were talking about something that "once it is run out on production, it is gone forever", such as FSM, SRM, etc, building kits, and brass locomotives, then you have something of value-and there is the inevitable increase in value per demand; but plastic kits and RTR stuff tends to be somewhat over produced anyway, and the dies are usually kept around, sold, traded off, etc, by manufacturers; so  it is alway fairly easy to ramp up production if the demand is there.  On a comparative scale, most plastic rolling stock, locos, and buildings tend not to be worth much compared to "craftsman" type kits-unassembled and in original boxes, sealed; unless there is an untapped damand and it is perenially there.

My advice, as has been that of others here, is to either enjoy them yourself, or get them to someone who will, and maybe otherwise cannot afford to get into this hobby.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich, all true - but did you see what a Life Like (?) early McDonald's hamburger stand goes for now?  Fortunately, Leesboro, Va, didn't have a McDonald's in 1957.  It did have a roadside diner, though.  I already have that - not too bad a likeness, either.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat