News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann RS3 Wiring Error?

Started by Don Stafford, May 10, 2013, 08:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Stafford

I just bought two N-scale RS3 locos, from different sources, one new and one used.  One is Southern and one Western Maryland, and both operate flawlessly, EXCEPT, both had the same wiring problem.  They both run BACKWARDS!  When the throttle says forward, the light on the the "short nose" cab end lights and the loco goes that way; when throttle says reverse, the light on the the "long nose" end (with the "F") lights and the loco goes that way. 

Has anyone else experienced or noticed this problem and what's the fix?
Don Stafford

skipgear

I'm assuming that you are running DCC. If that is the case, it is just a matter of changing CV29 which controls NDOT (Normal direction of travel).

Keep in mind, not all railroads considered the long hood the front. I know Southern and B&O ran long hood forward but not everybody did.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Don Stafford

Thanks for the fix, Tony.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Someone at CS told me to try changing CV 8 to 8 and call back if that didn't work, but I doubt that that would change anything, especially on the new-out-of-the-box WM one.  I'll take your advice and save myself the call.
Don Stafford

skipgear

If you are using long addresses, set CV29=39.
If you are using short address, set cv29=7
Tony Hines

Don Stafford

Thanks again, Tony. I'm new at programming CVs and that will save me a lot of trouble when I get back to my Zephyr.

On the same layout, which has three separate and isolated busses, I'm also wondering if I can use the Zephyr's jump ports on to run DC locos on two different busses while at the same time using the main bus for DCC.  Would this work, or do the jump port transformers have to be on the same bus as the DCC?
Don Stafford

skipgear

The jump ports only allow you to control additional DCC loco's. They act as a second and third simple throttle. The jump ports give you speed and direction only of what ever loco you assign to the jump port address.

You can only control on DC loco at address 0 on the controler. It is not suggested that you do this alot because a DC loco, on track but not moving, can burn up the motor over time. The AC pulses from the DCC cause the motor to oscilate back and forth very quickly (hum). Without the motor spinning, just one pole over heats and burns out.
Tony Hines

Don Stafford

Again, thanks.  Another good excuse to get another throttle.
Don Stafford