News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Two-truck Climax

Started by Ken Huck, December 30, 2013, 04:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Huck

I decided to see if the trucks from the new Bachmann 70-ton 3-truck Climax are interchangeable with the
Bachmann Class B 2-truck Climax.  Good news !  They are.  They simply snap off just like the Class B.  The  fiddly trick is to interchange/swap out the drive shafts that are different lengths because of distance from the differential and truck spacing.  I think now I'll look into the differential itself and find one more gear to get my Class B running again.  It looks promising.  I'll keep you posted.

Ken

Ken Huck

After replacing all the parts below the frame of my 2-truck Climax with new parts from the 3-truck Climax (from truck to truck and all parts between) it still won't go.  Sooo.....

I've completely disassembled the 3-truck Climax and have what appears to be the "transmission".  It's a complete self-contained unit that 'clips' to the worm-gear of the electric motor transferring energy to the side-rides and drive-shaft.  After studying the exploded view of the Class-B 2-truck Climax, they appear to be the same.  Now all I have to do is build up enough courage to disassemble my 2-truck Climax and swap out the transmission.  I don't expect to reassemble my 3-truck Climax anytime soon.

Wish me luck.

richg

That is what many call, Model Railroading. Great job.

You might consider taking photos for others to see.
Get a Photo Bucket account for posting pictures here.

Rich

Ken Huck

I'll try some pics again...

First is the Class B Climax and its parts list/schematic with the transmission from the 3-truck Climax.

Next if the same thing but with parts list/schematic of the 3-truck Climax.  Note orientation

Hopefully the next time I update this project, I'll have the Class B Climax disassembled.

And now for another project involving matchsticks and bamboo skewers...

...and the backside (no pun intended)...

...and finally, the interior of the 2nd floor.

Any questions or comments ?  I'll do my best to respond.