News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jack Work coal mine

Started by Jerrys HO, May 13, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

I have searched everywhere for the Jack Work coal mine project in Model Railroader's magazine and can not seem to find one. I believe it was in the year 1956.
I would love to find the magazine or have someone print the article for me.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ebtbob for checking.
Jerry

richg

I searched trains.com Model Railroader site and it was labeled differently on the subject heading. Three issues. Many articles have had a different subject label. Join the site and search it out. Use coal mine, not jack work. Look for the author of the article. Details.
I just recycled all my MR's, RMC and Narrow Gauge Gazettes. I did have those three  magazines.
I believe Model Power did sell a plastic version based on this mine at one time from the searching I did.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Thanks richg,

I have done the search's you suggested before I posted this. Yes I am a member of the Model Railroader site for about two years. The only back issues you can see only go back to 1986. I would love to get the paper version or just the article from that magazine.
The club by my house uploaded all there's to the computer and they are looking for where they put the paper one's.
I have searched libraries, book stores,etc.
It would help if I could narrow it down to the month or issue number.

Jerry

rogertra

I Googled ("jack work" + coal mine).  I easily found the three months of MR issues in which it was printed.  You must put "jack work" in quotes and add the '+ coal mine' to narrow down the search.

"....... Jack Work's instructions in the October, November and December 1959 issues of Model Railroader for building a coal mine."

Google is your friend, if you know how to ask it questions.  :-)

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Joe Satnik

Man, Roger, you are quick on the draw....

From what used to be called the "Kalmbach Magazine Index":

How to build a coal mine, part 1 - AHM made a kit of this
Good ideas for superdetailing the AHM kit
from Model Railroader October 1959  p. 30
coal  jackwork  mine  scratchbuild  structure 

How to build a coal mine, part 2
from Model Railroader November 1959  p. 60

How to build a coal mine, part 3
from Model Railroader December 1959  p. 62

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Woody Elmore

The AHM coal mine kit was not very well done - I actually owned one. It was a very basic copy and, if I remember correctly, didn't contain the ancillary buildings that Mr. Work had built.

Jack Work was a Canadian from British Columbia and he did some really nice work. He did an entire turn of the century CP train from scratch. This was back in the days before styrene and ACC; his materials were a paper called Strathmore and (probably) Northeastern wood shapes.

I hope the articles can be located. I think it is interesting to see how the "old timers" did things.

Jerrys HO

Roger

It must be something about my google. All I come up with is people asking what I am asking.
http://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22jack+work%22+%2B+coal+mine&oq=%22jack+work%22+%2B+coal+mine&gs_l=hp.12..0i22i10i30.2361.26390.0.28390.26.25.1.0.0.0.182.2026.22j2.24.0...0.0...1c.1.12.psy-ab.6Zifft0Ib6c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dmg&fp=1406b4dd91930ca0&biw=1024&bih=677

Joe

Thanks for that info. That is narrowing it down for me.
I have the Model Power coal mine and it is a nice piece and with a little weathering and scratch built buildings that go with it, this should be a nice display.

Woody

You are so right, it is interesting to see how the "old tiners" did things.

This is a pick that sold on e-bay for 350.00. I love the detail..

I need those magazine articles. ;D

Jerry

rogertra

Jerry.

Follow that link you posted and look for the heading "Model Railroad Forums • View topic - Old Coal Mine".  It's in there.  :)

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: rogertra on May 14, 2013, 10:47:16 AM
Jerry.
Follow that link you posted and look for the heading "Model Railroad Forums • View topic - Old Coal Mine".  It's in there.  :)

Roger-Only a photo of one small building, no instructions, no other links. Did I miss something also? 

Jerrys HO

GG1

QuoteRoger-Only a photo of one small building, no instructions, no other links. Did I miss something also?

Somebody really noticed there's nothing there or for that matter anywhere in google (google is not always your friend).
I was just sent a PM by another member who may have them. (Thanks again Ken)

Jerry

Woody Elmore

The Model Power mine is the same as the AHM mine. The plastic model is made to look decrepit. I had planned to replace the plastic siding on my model with either milled wood siding or corrugated material. I eventually gave the thing to some one who was a lot more ambitious.

The NMRA library might be able to help with back issues.

rogertra

Jerry.

My fault, I thought you only wanted the months and year of the article.  :-(

Jerrys HO

QuoteMy fault, I thought you only wanted the months and year of the article.  :-(

Roger you were correct, I did need the dates to help me narrow it down. What I really need is to find the books or have someone copy the articles for me and Ken sent a PM and may have what I need.
If you look at the pic I posted, someone actually took two kits and did some really nice kitbashing and detail work. My plan is to do an abandoned mine. (maybe put a demolishing crew there with a sign stating "coming soon CVS") ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jerry

GG1onFordsDTandI

After seeing Jerrys photo I wanted to see more! ;D Great looking mine build. Don't forget to photo brag as you move along jerry 8)