News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Help Thread

Started by TobyTheTram16, May 11, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobyTheTram16

I've noticed there has been an awful lot of new threads of people needing help with their loco's issues and problems. So I though I might as well make a thread for all help related questions, to save space on the message board. Sound like a good idea? If not then leave it alone to be deleted.
-Jared

thomasj219

Fantastic Idea in my opinion, very much needed.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

AJW98Productions

I always thought about making a thread like this, but I always thought it might just be shot down and deleted. I'm glad to see I was wrong ;).

SodorAdventures

Well, it's a good idea, but chance are people may not use it.

-Tanner
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

mrrailroad

I was wondering if there was aspecific way to clean thomas models. Is there?
my website for all garden train fans
http://gardentrains.webs.com/

my website for all model trains
http://usamodeltrains.webs.com/

Rollin Mayham

You know the help thread wold be a great idea for an example I could go to it and ask to see if I can find out how to restore a diesel and it would save room on the Message board brilliant idea.

TobyTheTram16

How exactly do you plan to restore it?

PaulGWR

My Thomas model is always having problem going after a few minutes and is needing constant cleaning on the wheels, is there something wrong with the contacts? Or is it nothing?

Also how do you fix a broken buffer on an engine?

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: mrrailroad on May 15, 2013, 12:42:27 AM
I was wondering if there was aspecific way to clean thomas models. Is there?

Cleaning plastic trains has been a concern for a long time. A disassembly of your train to remove the drive mechanism is first. Use a mild dish soap dissolved in water and a soft brush (like a natural paint brush). Avoid rubbing!, cotton can scratch, a non-abrasive eyeglasses cloth works. It could remove paint or scratch surfaces. Pat dry anything that could rust right away, oil metal lightly and it will be ok. Failure to pat dry can leave mineral deposits(water spots). Don't use simple green, or other spray cleaners, they can destroy plastic and/or paint. Often just dusting regularly, with a dry paint brush or similar is enough to keep them nice. Don't forget to lube your engines chassis once about every 10hrs of run time, too. If the loose their shine, I have used some plastic polishes and/or waxes to improve looks.

An alternate would be Q-tips, tissue, and careful wiping, to avoid taking it apart. As long as everything metal is dried fully ASAP and lightly oiled rust shouldn't be an issue.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: sodorfan on September 02, 2013, 05:49:29 PM
My Thomas model is always having problem going after a few minutes and is needing constant cleaning on the wheels, is there something wrong with the contacts? Or is it nothing?

Cleaning the track too? (alcohol or cleaning fluid only). If so it is just your environment. The electricity itself acts as an attractant for dirt and gunk. It pulls molecules  right out of the air. Time to research track cleaning cars too. You could make one, many people do. Or maybe convert one, ready made, to be more "Sodor" like.

PaulGWR

I do clean the track a lot, and have a track cleaner ( car and pad ), my layout has been needing constant cleaning due to most of my rolling stock having plastic wheels or the family cat, my other engines do better but thomas is the most sensitive to this. I just post a vid to explain.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Plastic wheels will do it! You know you can probably get metal ones to swap right in, don't you? It will run better because cars will roll easier, and stay cleaner too.

PaulGWR

Ok thanks, I was thinking about doing that sometime soon.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: sodorfan on September 19, 2013, 07:50:15 PM
Ok thanks, I was thinking about doing that sometime soon.

Search for "tuner" with B-mann search feature, you will find some threads on "truck tuners" there. Read up on truck tuners in the regular parts of the forum. Some of them have some good axle info too.

PaulGWR

Anybody know how I could fix my chassis on Bachmann Thomas? It runs terrible (especially in reverse) even if I clean the wheels and track it still doesn't run well. ???