News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Help Thread

Started by TobyTheTram16, May 11, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

your problems would seem to stem more from the cat than plastic wheels. from my extensive experience in the days when plastic wheels were the norm, they don't make much of a difference with a dc layout. dcc, being much more sensitive to dirt, is a different story.

you may also be affected by one or more of the following: track with steel or brass rail, a dirty or dusty environment, layout exposed to cigarette smoke or cooking fumes.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ThomasBachannRemakes

Hi. I'm back! Okay, my question is, My Bachmann Henry was just normally going around the loop of track I have, not going very fast, but then it sparked, and fell off the tracks. I don't know why, but now it doesn't run. Did something happen to the motor, or do I have to buy a new one?
~ThomasBachmannRemakes

Bringing you Thomas The Tank Engine Remakes since 2014!

PaulGWR

Quote from: ThomasBachannRemakes on November 03, 2013, 09:42:09 AM
Hi. I'm back! Okay, my question is, My Bachmann Henry was just normally going around the loop of track I have, not going very fast, but then it sparked, and fell off the tracks. I don't know why, but now it doesn't run. Did something happen to the motor, or do I have to buy a new one?
~ThomasBachmannRemakes

Quote from: jward on November 02, 2013, 06:26:25 PM
your problems would seem to stem more from the cat than plastic wheels. from my extensive experience in the days when plastic wheels were the norm, they don't make much of a difference with a dc layout. dcc, being much more sensitive to dirt, is a different story.

you may also be affected by one or more of the following: track with steel or brass rail, a dirty or dusty environment, layout exposed to cigarette smoke or cooking fumes.

Well, my layout is in a humid area, so that may be why.

As for Henry, Thomasbachannremakes, that sounds perculiar.

ThomasBachannRemakes

Quote from: sodorfan on November 03, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: ThomasBachannRemakes on November 03, 2013, 09:42:09 AM
~ThomasBachmannRemakes

Quote from: jward on November 02, 2013, 06:26:25 PM

Well, my layout is in a humid area, so that may be why.

As for Henry, Thomasbachannremakes, that sounds perculiar.
perculiar?  ???

PaulGWR

Well, I ment that it was strange, but it sounds like Somthing is wrong with the contacts, but I'm not the expert on this.

ThomasBachannRemakes

Quote from: sodorfan on November 03, 2013, 07:03:54 PM
Well, I ment that it was strange, but it sounds like Somthing is wrong with the contacts, but I'm not the expert on this.
What do you mean by "contacts"?  :-\

jward

first of all, is henry the only engine you have? if you have another does it run normally over that section of track?

have you looked at the track where henry derailed? are the rails aligned with no bump in the track?

have you tried touching a 9 volt battery to henry's drive wheels? did the locomotive run?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ThomasBachannRemakes

Quote from: jward on November 04, 2013, 07:53:53 AM
first of all, is henry the only engine you have? if you have another does it run normally over that section of track?

have you looked at the track where henry derailed? are the rails aligned with no bump in the track?

have you tried touching a 9 volt battery to henry's drive wheels? did the locomotive run?

Yes, he is my only engine (not for now >:I)
Yes, well.... there is a tiny bump, like half a centimeter.  ???
No?

Fergusfan17

Open him up CAREFULLY and see what you find. My guess would be a burned out motor, but it is best to check. Once you find out, tell and we can help with how to fix him. Good luck!
BTW- my collection took me almost three years to accumulate, and I only have half the trains available! Don't worry, eventually you will be proud of the collection you have made. Just have fun!!! Depending on how old you are, you could exchange good grades or chores for trains. That's the route I took! Trust me, it works.
~FF17

ThomasBachannRemakes

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on November 04, 2013, 06:49:23 PM
Open him up CAREFULLY and see what you find. My guess would be a blown motor, but it is best to check. Once you find out, tell and we can help with how to fix him. Good luck!
BTW- my collection took me almost three years to accumulate, and I only have half the trains available! Don't worry, eventually you will be proud of the collection you have made. Just have fun!!! Depending on how old you are, you could exchange good grades or chores for trains. That's the route I took! Trust me, it works.
~FF17
Ahhhh, dang it. The motor is blown. Guess I gotta buy a new one. (Chores) I do do that. I have like $140 dollars, but I wanna buy some wooden railway stuff, since I collect wooden railway (rare), ERTL, and bachmann.

Thanks for the advice! Also, I have been reading reviews about Bachmann Thomas products, and some people say that the motor melts, and the train doesn't work anymore. Should I continue collecting bachmann products, or should I collect something else? I'm not insulting Bachmann, (I'm soooo sorry if I accidentally do) but i don't wanna waste my money collecting electric trains if they break so easily.  :P

Just got Facebook + Twitter account  :D Also, creating website + other stuff. I will post a update thread on 11/09/13!

jward

that bump in your track is 1/2 cm? that's not a small bump that's enough to derail anything that runs over it. is the rail inside the rail joiner or on top of it where the bump is?

did your locomotive hit the floor?

before you assume, as some others have, that the motor is "blown" do yourself a favour. get a 9 volt battery, the kind with the snap on terminals. touch the terminals to the wheels and see if it runs.

I had asked 6 questions previously, only got an answer to one of them. can't help if I don't have the answers. problems need to be approached logically, taking hit or miss shots in the dark will not solve the problem. eliminating the possible causes one by one will.

we've already established there is a problem with your track. correct that. next we need to determine whether the locomotive is damaged, or if the controller is. thus, the 9 volt battery trick. it would also help if you had more than one engineso we could see if the other one runs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ThomasBachannRemakes

Quote from: jward on November 04, 2013, 08:44:13 PM
that bump in your track is 1/2 cm? that's not a small bump that's enough to derail anything that runs over it. is the rail inside the rail joiner or on top of it where the bump is?

did your locomotive hit the floor?

before you assume, as some others have, that the motor is "blown" do yourself a favour. get a 9 volt battery, the kind with the snap on terminals. touch the terminals to the wheels and see if it runs.

I had asked 6 questions previously, only got an answer to one of them. can't help if I don't have the answers. problems need to be approached logically, taking hit or miss shots in the dark will not solve the problem. eliminating the possible causes one by one will.

we've already established there is a problem with your track. correct that. next we need to determine whether the locomotive is damaged, or if the controller is. thus, the 9 volt battery trick. it would also help if you had more than one engineso we could see if the other one runs.
Yes, it hit the floor. Motor is blown. Getting new one soon

jward

motors don't blow. they burn out, if they are forced to draw too much power due to things like gears or side rods binding. more likely, the fall knocked some contacts loose inside.

it's your engine though. maybe you'll take better care of the new one.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ThomasBachannRemakes

Quote from: jward on November 04, 2013, 09:00:03 PM
motors don't blow. they burn out, if they are forced to draw too much power due to things like gears or side rods binding. more likely, the fall knocked some contacts loose inside.

it's your engine though. maybe you'll take better care of the new one.

Sorry, meant burnt out or whatever
I'm tired right now. Give me a break ._.

TBModels

Hey guys! I was going to post pictures of my layout, but I don't know how to put in pictures from your computer files. I know how to put in pictures from websites etc., but I can't seem to do it with filed pictures!

Please Respond! -ThunderbirdComics