Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Help Thread

Started by TobyTheTram16, May 11, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shining time

long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

PasqualeCS96

Hello all, question to anyone with Hornby products. If I were to order a Flying Scotsman for my layout, would the tender derail on a 22" curve? I don't want to order it then discover it won't run properly.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Who knows ??? That company speaks its own language when it comes to curves. Whatever a "third radius" is (the Hornby site assumes you know this). Know wonder its avoided like the plague in the states. Id skip it and buy something Bachmann.

Anthony P2

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 25, 2013, 08:46:05 PM
Hello all, question to anyone with Hornby products. If I were to order a Flying Scotsman for my layout, would the tender derail on a 22" curve? I don't want to order it then discover it won't run properly.

I have a Hornby Murdoch and he handles 18" curves fine. If a Hornby 9F can handle 18" curves, then an A1 can take on 22" curves

shining time

i have the Hornby scotsmann and it runs fine on 18" radius and the loop of 15" radius i have

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: shining time on December 26, 2013, 11:42:12 AM
i have the Hornby scotsmann and it runs fine on 18" radius and the loop of 15" radius i have

Quote from: Anthony P2 on December 26, 2013, 10:49:44 AM

I have a Hornby Murdoch and he handles 18" curves fine. If a Hornby 9F can handle 18" curves, then an A1 can take on 22" curves
Thank you both for the help! I will most likely get it now. One last question, the model is tender driven correct?

TBModels

If anybody uses scenic cement on their layout a lot, I would like to ask a few questions to see that my bottle is alright. I don't know too much about it, and was wondering what's supposed to happen with the ground cover after you use it, to see if my batch is working how it's supposed to.

-ThunderbirdComics

shining time

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 26, 2013, 03:14:08 PM
Quote from: shining time on December 26, 2013, 11:42:12 AM

Quote from: Anthony P2 on December 26, 2013, 10:49:44 AM

Thank you both for the help! I will most likely get it now. One last question, the model is tender driven correct?

no mine is loco driven
part of the hornby "Railway" line

GG1onFordsDTandI

Could someone please at least elaborate on what 1st, 2cnd, 3rd, 4th. etc Radius means? In 40 years I have never heard these terms and can find no reference to them outside the Hornby site. What a silly way to try and sell track. Take note Bachmann, better photos (always appear very low pixel), and more complete info in your catalogs might sell a few more trains too. I have passed on more than a few items due to lack of info in the catalogs before, and will again. Its not like I can go to any old store to see one or handle one. Sorry for the minor bash, I love you guys, but catalog and store info containing real detail vs pretty words and sales smack, is somewhat lacking here too :-[.

Fergusfan17

Recently, about two days ago, I was running my Henry model when suddenly he made this grinding noise and stopped. There were no sparks or anything, but when I went to inspect it, he was able to roll without power (freewheel), but did not work on power. Wheneevr another engine is on the same line, they go very slow and are unresponsive. Any help would be great as to what the problem is and how to fix it.

thanks,
FF17

PasqualeCS96

@Anthony P2 @shining time

I'm sorry for all the questions but if I were to get a Hornby Flying Scotsman, would it run on a 72" x 45" oval of track? It's from Bachmann's Overland Limited set and I misunderstood the description of the track it comes with.

jward

the 45" dimension translates to 22r curves. others here have already state they can run theirs on 18r.

just a hint:

if you're going to be planning a layout you'll nee to brush up on your basic geometry. it's hard to plan a workable layout if you have no idea how much space things will take up.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Br 98.75

GWR, GWR, PANNIER POWER, i love those pannier tanks like the class 2721's all runn on my layout is Tank Engine's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86150435@N04/11614927425/

shining time

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 28, 2013, 09:15:45 AM

I'm sorry for all the questions but if I were to get a Hornby Flying Scotsman, would it run on a 72" x 45" oval of track? It's from Bachmann's Overland Limited set and I misunderstood the description of the track it comes with.

that would be fine the flying scotsman will run smoothly

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: shining time on December 29, 2013, 06:44:14 PM
Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on December 28, 2013, 09:15:45 AM

that would be fine the flying scotsman will run smoothly

Quote from: jward on December 28, 2013, 11:31:54 AM
the 45" dimension translates to 22r curves. others here have already state they can run theirs on 18r.

just a hint:

if you're going to be planning a layout you'll nee to brush up on your basic geometry. it's hard to plan a workable layout if you have no idea how much space things will take up.
Thank you!