News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Help Thread

Started by TobyTheTram16, May 11, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #89 By Racing James!: I cannot really hunt around for offers for Skarloey, as I live in the UK, so I can only get mine from the only Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO Gauge retailer in the UK, called The Diesel Works. He is sold here for £70.00, which is precisely $100.84, according to Google's British Pound to US Dollar Converter!

jward

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on February 02, 2016, 07:20:51 PM
^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #87 By jward: When you say the "actual Narrow Gauge models", are talking about the Bachmann or the PECO models?

google HOn3 and see what comes up
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #91 By jward: I typed that into Google, and it came up with Blackstone Models. Is this what you are talking about? I have never heard of it, myself.

UPTODAY

ok guys,I am talking about Bachmann prices,not all that other narrow stuff.i know what that is worth.I used to own it.
UPTODAY

ps;the point i was making is the more profit you make on an item,the more money you have for warranty problems.
End of story.
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #93 By UPTODAY: Oh, sorry about that Steve. I must have got confused, but it is a fair point, that the more you spend on a product, the better warranty is worth and better customer service Bachmann will give you if something goes wrong on your Locomotive!

jward

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on February 02, 2016, 07:55:23 PM
^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #91 By jward: I typed that into Google, and it came up with Blackstone Models. Is this what you are talking about? I have never heard of it, myself.

blackstone is one of them. most of the others are either brass, or resin kits that take days to build, yet are more expensive than ready to run. the cost of track, particularly dual guage switches, is a lot more. that is, unless you want to build it yourself.

this is why I was dismayed by the comments regarding the very low prices for Bachmann trains. they are very reasonable for what you are getting.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Chaz

I don't think the price for Skarloey is unreasonable personally.  The quality of the model as well as the detail had exceeded my expectations.  The same could be said for other locomotives to join the range.

The only complaints regarding pricing that I can understand completely is the rolling stock.  Peco rolling stock doesn't cost that much and you can buy three for the price of one Bachmann car on Hattons and the stock that has been made so far are Peco repaints.  The only reason why they could be more expensive is it could have something to do with the partnership Bachmann has with Peco as well as the Thomas license in the product giving the stock a double or possibly triple standard when it comes to pricing. 

Also the Skarloey products are HOn30, not HOn3.  There is a difference between both of them as they are different scales and run on different tracks.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Does anyone know if I can return my henry if he is missing a face? :P
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Jacob Wilson

^^ Above 2 Replies - @Reply #96 By Chaz: that must be the reason for Bachmann's high RRP tag of the Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock did to the partnership / licensing so Bachmann can use PECO's tooling and then partly do with the Thomas & Friends licensing with HiT Entertainment and then partly so Bachmann can make a profit with each one.

I do hope though, as time passes and the Narrow Gauge range expands and becomes more popular, that Bachmann will be able to bring the RRP down of these Wagon's.

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #97 By Racing James!: I do not see why not, when last night I learnt that Bachmann's models have a lifetime warranty.

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #99 By Rickenbacker 325: I admire Bachmann a lot for their spare parts range. You can get almost, if not, everything! I wish Hornby was this good. I needed a new dome for my Hornby Emily which broke off when I first bought her 10 year's ago, later this year! I have contacted Hornby loads of times before her discontinuation back in 2012, and Hornby where never able to get one. What I have had no choice to do, was to make a make-do-and-mend attitude and glue her half broke dome back on. Hornby, you can learn something from Bachmann's Spare Parts range. You certainly have a lot of catching up to do!

TBModels

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on February 01, 2016, 05:20:23 PM
^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #75 By TBModels: I suggest you get into contact with the Model Railway Doctor at http://www.modelrailwaydoctor.co.uk/. My Dad has sent loads of different Locomotives off to him for all sorts of motor problems and he never declined any of them, and he made them all run as if they where brand new, after their operation's!

Thank you! I'll make sure to look into this.  ;)

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #101 By TBModels: That is alright. I recommend you send off your Flying Scotsman to the Model Railway Doctor. He does not damage Locomotives and he repairs them and the end result of them running is as of the Locomotive is brand new.

railtwister

Quote from: TBModels on January 31, 2016, 08:37:18 AM
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question, so I found this one to repost.

Anyway... I recently bought a Hornby Flying Scotsman on eBay. There is a problem with the engine / tender in that the engine will work on curves, but it will not work on straight pieces of track. Once it gets to a straight section, the engine stops.

Has anyone had the same problem / know how to fix it?

Probably the wheel contact wipers need to be tweaked, so that they touch the wheels at all times. They are usually strips of copper (hopefully phosphor-bronze, which is "springier" than just copper) located between the wheels and the chassis frame. As these contacts get older, they lose touch with the wheels. Usually, tweaking will require removal of the lower frame cover plate so that you can remove the drivers in order to get the clearance needed to bend the contacts out towards the wheels. They must make contact with the wheels at all times through the limits of the axles lateral play. I've seen several Hornby locos with similar problems.

Also, watch out for metal pinion gears that start slipping on the motor shaft, eventually leading the loco to slip and stall while the motor spins free. This can be fixed by thoroughly cleaning all oil & grease from the gear and motor shaft, and then carefully applying a bit of ACC-gel to the hole in the gear using a toothpick, and then quickly pressing the gear onto the shaft so that it aligns properly with the spur gear. You possibly could also use a tiny drop of locktite instead of the ACC gel, which might allow more time to work, but in either case, be sure none of the adhesive can migrate to between the motor shaft and bearing, or your loco will will be suitable for static display only!

Bill in FtL