News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Weathering Help on a vehicle model

Started by jonathan, May 13, 2013, 08:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

The story up front:

I wanted to have a '28 Ford Model A on my layout because my dad had one in college.  I found a kit with 52 of the smallest parts you've ever seen.  I pre-painted it, along with a Glosscoat to make the vehicle look new or restored.  However, as I assembled the parts, the glosscoat peeled off in sheets. Don't know why it didn't take.

I left the body separate in hopes of adding a driver and passenger.

Anyway, to salvage this project, I hope to weather the car to look well-used, not a broken down jalopy.  I'm hoping someone has some experience weathering the extremely small.  Can this be fixed?  Thanks a million.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Hi;  First though-where in heck did you find(these) models?   I could fall in love with this stuff!  the closest I have come to anything relative to this is the trucks thqt George Barrett puts out.
Anyways...What I have done as an approach would be to give the painting surfaces some "tooth" (this can be done with one of those distressing brushes Micro sells, or some carborundum paper or emerycloth paper; very FINE emery cloth...AND SMALL SMALL TINY PIECES...(i DO HOPE YOUR HANDS ARE SMALLER THAN MINE...)
Then, after you do all of that, clean (it ) off and lightly prime it; then after a couple of days, paint it.  This way, the paint might hold until you hit the brakes...
Rich c.

WoundedBear

You bet that can be fixed. Get out your weathering powders. You can mask off the windows or not.....they can always be wiped with a Q-tip later anyways.

Start with some rust streaks in the body joints and along lower edges. Even a hint of yellow to represent old rust. Then I'd brush on some dust colored (grey tan mix) powder and blend it all in with a little black. A hint of rust across the top and hood will help show a car that hasn't spent a lifetime in a garage. Experiment with the powders and you will soon find a look that seems right for you. Hint.....when you find that look....STOP. It's easy to overdo weathering, and sometimes it looks like some modellers use weathering to hide poor modeling skills.

When you start with a pristine build, like yours is, weathering will only enhance the model..

When I did this little fire truck, I applied the semi-gloss with a brush after it was built. Try applying a matte coat to your body with a fine brush before you hit the powders on it. This didn't get a lot of powder, because she's supposed to be a well maintained vehicle. It did get a very light wash of tan and black before the semi gloss went on.

I like to use Doc Obrien's powders. They are very resilient and hold up well even without a topcoat of clear.

BTW...you did a great job on that. I'm assuming it's a Jordan kit? This little fire truck also had near 50 parts as well. Tweezers and a magna-visor come in handy.

Sid

JNXT 7707

Jonathan - just an opinion, but in viewing your photos (great photos BTW and what an outstanding model) it looks like a well-used old Ford as it is.
Of course you are the one that knows the look you want, but had I viewed them without a story, I would have been completely impressed.
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

Doneldon

Jonathan-

To tell the truth, your car looks nicely weathered as is. I suppose you can add a little rust at seams
and make the tires a lighter gray but I'm not so sure you need to do that. To me, this looks like
another of your terrific modeling projects.
                                                                  -- D

J3a-614

Jonathan, I'd second Donaldson's advice, it's about the best way to make lemonade out of a bit of a lemon, and besides, for your time period of the 1950s, you would be talking about a car that would be at least 20 years old, possibly nearly 25.  I don't think there would have been too many people with restored Model As in that period, they were too new!  It would be like considering a 1989 to 1993 car as an antique today.  Granted, a car not much older, like 1988, can be legally registered as an antique (West Virginia and other states allow this for a vehicle of 25 years or older) but how many people would consider it one yet?

This is a cool site; most of what's on it is modern, but there are some oldsters there, too.  What stands out is the work on what you've observed are some awfully tiny models.

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo_search.php

http://www.1-87vehicles.org/photo_search.php

Explore and enjoy.

jonathan

First gents, thank you very much for the kind words.  Perhaps I've spent too much time staring at this car under a magnifying glass.  I'll try not to be so self-critical.  :)

Yes, it is a Jordan Kit. It was an impulse buy at the end of the last train show in the area.  Made me think of my dad, and I couldn't let it go.

I will take it easy on the weathering, after cleaning up all the little orts.  Think I've found a couple of passengers that will fit inside, after a little surgery.

Sid, your fire engine is superb.  Makes me appreciate the work involved in making a model look good, when it is so small.

J3a, glad to know there are a host of folks who are a crazy as me (us) when it comes to building tiny models.  Don't think I'll be joining a 1/87 car club though.  ;D

I'm working on a little vignette on my layout.  When it's done, I'll post some final pics.  Gotta have a place for the car to park.  Thanks again!

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jonathan - chop the top, find an HO model of an Edelbrock V-8, add flames and a skull you have a rat rod. Oh oh- I've been weatching too many car shows on TV!

jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon-knowing you, you are already figuring out how to illuminate the headlights and duplicate the sound of a '28 Ford.. Incidentally, I think the model looks fine. Henry Ford was known for thin, thin paint so I don't think you need to repaint the model.

As an interesting aside - the Ford family intermarried with the Firestone family. So Firestone got all the Ford business. When Firestone sent a telegram to Ford asking his specs and requirements for tires, Ford responded:"black, round, cheap!"

Catt

Jonathan,did you by chance handle the car with your bare hands before the gloss cote?While I am thinking of it is that black paint? or just the colour of the plastic?

If you want it looking new or restored strip the body then repaint but wear latex gloves (if your not allergic to latex).just do not touch the car with your bare hands till it is finished.

One more thing before I forget after stripping the paint and before painting wash the body and fenders in warm water and dish soap and let air dry.

ebtnut

In Jonathon's initial entry he notes that he pre-painted and gloss-coated the kit before assembly.  This appears to be an issue of paint incompatibility.  What kind of paint was the black, and what kind was the gloss? 

RAM

When they first started making plastic part for HO fright cars, I got three box car with plastic roofs and ends, cardboard sides.  I assembled them and painted the plastic parts.  In no time the paint pealed off.  Then I found out the any plastic parts that will need to be painted, needs to be washed to remove the oil from the mold.  If you really want to know, that was about 65 years ago.

jonathan

Thanks for the ideas, friends.

I swear I scrubbed all the parts with a soft toothbrush and Zout prior to painting/finishing.  That's why the peeling was a mystery.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to weather the car, but I have started a small scene where the car will sit.  As you can see in the photos the scene is roughed in.  I found some figures in the junk box that I've started to work on. I think a couple will fit in the car.

Here's some progress photos:

The tower I built a few months ago... just now getting around to planting it on the layout.  Think this will make a nice trackside scene when done.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Neat looking tower model and a potentially great scene in the works there.

Could we be looking at a railfan watching trains from this old car?   And let's see, his wife is with him, and wishes he would just go on, they're supposed to be out getting groceries. or on the way to her mother, or something, not fooling around looking at trains!

(Guess how I came up with that scenario, even though my wife likes trains, too!)