Installing a Sound Card to 060 Bachmann Steam

Started by Kiwi42, May 22, 2013, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi42

HI ALL
I am looking for HELP to install a Sound Decoder to a 060 Steam Loco, Smoke, and Sloping Tender, the Explode view :( of the Loco that came with the LOCO and SLOPE Tender, does not help me all the much - NEED TO KNOW how to start to open the LOCO to install a Decoder and now have any SPARE PARTS LEFT OVER

take this piece then this piece to finally get inside  "NOTES/EXPLODED VIEW" would be handy

THANKS FOR LOOKING

richg

This will be a challenge if this is your first install. Forget, Plug and Play.
Download the diagram with your PC. Expand the view as needed. There is a screw under the loco between the cylinders that has to be removed first. There might be another screw under the loco that has to be removed. Did one about four years ago but gave away both locos.

I just looked at the diagram.

Disconnect both wires from the motor.
The loco picks up power from both drivers and is not reliable enough for DCC is why the tender needs pickups.
Remove the weights. Install metal wheels on the tender and drill holes in the tender frame for the speaker. A 28mm might fit along with a Micro Tsunami or a Micro LokSound in the tender. Not sure there is enough room for everything as I had the Vanderbilt, not the slope tender.
Install pickups on the tender trucks,
Glue bird shot in the tender for weight. I have done that with the 0-6-0 Vanderbilt tender.
You need six wires between the loco and tender Two for the motor, two for the headlight and two for the pickups.
By the way, there is a HO forum.

Rich

Kiwi42

HI RICHG

thanks for the reply

will be my 1st SOUND IMPLANT, have done decoders B4, not really wishing to do after seeing the PARTS LIST with the Loco, but friend/owner is LESS KEEN to do

It runs well on DCC now and is HO and have just got the SMOKE to work, even though VERY WISPY, but happy its SMOKING :) out of the right place :) - so might chase up in HO FORUM

mm - Bad eyes, :( - BIG Fingers, :( - know nothing about how to open :( - so far not really people friendly, other than running on HO DCC with some Smoke, :) - one out of 4 is - up the Creek without a paddle

back to the drawing board

Doneldon

Kiwi-

"Very wispy" is about as good as HO smoke gets unless you run the loco on all ahead flank emergency for a few minutes. Then the smoke will be "wispy," without the "very.) Seriously, smoke is for the kids. It isn't a realistic effect even at its best. And it will deposit a sticky film on the top of your loco, rails and nearby scenery. IMHO, AINA, the mess isn't worth it.

Of all of the questions asked on this board, I think "How do I open my [fill in the blank]?" is the most common. I believe Bachmann could make their exploded views a little clearer in that regard. There are a few things to keep in mind when opening a locomotive (regardless of brand). You'll frequently need to remove the couplers first. Often there is a screw on one end (smokebox end on a steam loco) and a sort of tab-and-slot on the other. Sometimes there are screws on both ends. The situation is similar with tenders although many of them use four screws instead. The screws to open diesels are frequently under the fuel tank. The fuel tanks snap off some of the time and have screws some of the time. Sometimes the screws for removing the shell are partly concealed by the trucks.

Those things to keep in mind apply to plastic locomotives only. Getting into brass is usually straightforward. Since it's harder to mold in a tab and slot than to use a screw, it's just a matter of undoing the correct screws and which ones are the ones is generally pretty easy to figure out. Be sure to check inside the stack.

I hopes these ideas help you in the future. One thing you can count on is that someone who hangs around this board is almost certain to have opened every Bachmann loco there is so a question here should lead to the information you.need.

Good luck.
                       -- D