News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fan Driven Smoke units

Started by RRAddict2, May 08, 2013, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRAddict2

Does anyone know if WBB will start having fan driven smoke units in their locomotives in the near future. I really like the WBB trains but I have only purchased one and was so dissapointed with the lack of smoke I sold it off right away. It had a ton of power and could pull everything I had.  Their Steam locomtives are quite expensive and offer very little incentive to buy over the other manufactures. It would be great if they decide to enter the 21st century with their locomotives. They have True Blast plus so they are heading in the right direction.

Joe Satnik

Dear RRAddict2,

Sorry to hear you sold your WBB steamer.

To others with similar symptoms;

If you left the lights, sound and smoker at track voltage,

and reduced the power to your motor through voltage dropping diodes and/or diode bridges (Dallee circuit),

you would have better sound, vastly improved smoke and brighter lights, better low speed control, and not that much loss in power.

Scroll down to 671's replies for tons of detail on the subject:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21920.0.html

http://www.dallee.com/PDFs/MotorDiodeDrop.pdf 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

r0gruth

I am probably in the minority but I don't like the heavy smoke produced by some brands of locos.
The smoke odor gets to me rather quickly.I am also not a big fan of other sounds.
I do like whistle/horn and bells.

I have several Williams steam locos and am pleased with the [lesser] amount of smoke.
I do not like the limited whistle/horn/bell patterns but do like the sound quality.
Do I understand that the GP -30 does have operator controlled horn/whistle/bell?
If you can't tell from the above,I have been very pleased with my Williams locos,
both before and after Bachmann.Being able to control the sounds would make them even better.
Roger

wmwalker

Roger
You can control the horn and bell on the new GP30. You can blow the horn and ring the bell at the same time and the horn only blows while you push the horn button on your transformer no preset horn. I like both setups.
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

Just my 2cents. I don't think it's necessary to have fan driven smoke units on the diesels. No doubt it looks cool BUT at what point does the smoke start "clouding" up the room. Not to mention how much will it drive up the cost.

I like what WBB is doing. Giving us quality locomotives at affordable prices. I think in the near future people might be able to add extra features if they want on their own.

Personally that's a feature I could live without if it keeps the prices down.

MTH has a "Premier" line where they add on all the extra poly razz ma tazz. I don't know if WBB wants to go there. With all the advances technically filtering down to this hobby I imagine we will see some aftermarket add on "kits' that will help you do that.

BUT 

Don't write off WBB because it doesn't have Fan Driven Smoke Units I think you would be missing out on enjoying a lot of what is offered overall and even though it might be a nice feature I can't see it being any kind of realistic deal breaker at all -at least for me.

phillyreading

I agree with Fred, we don't need all the extras on our Williams engines, it will just drive up the cost of a Williams engine.
If you want to add something after you buy the Williams engine it is your free will to do so.

Lee F.

RRAddict2

I have quite a few WBB diesels and love them and would trade or sell them for anything. The steamers on the other hand are very expensive for what you get compared to MTH or Lionel although Lionel smoke units even their fan driven units are not great. You can control the smoke on the MTH Rail King steamers as not to get smogged out of the room. I have several MTH steamers that I bought for far less than a WBB that has less than half of the features. I can live without the chuffing sounds but a steamer with no steam that doesn't compute to me. The TB II whistle is great far better than any MTH whistle and I know that my WBB diesels will be around far longer than any of my MTH diesels. We have a great variety in this hobby and I will continue to buy WBB diesels as they are my favorites with better than Lionel quality at half the price or less.

M1FredQ

RRA

I agree with you. I truly am grateful to have WBB Steamers and Diesels at great prices.

For us married guys with a bunch of kids(me) it doesn't kill the family budget or make the wife nervous about the hobby!!!

I don't know what you mean about no smoke on the WBB steamers? I do agree a steamer HAS to have smoke but I don't think it's necessary that smoke and steam come out of a whole bunch of "orifices".

The steamer that impressed me with it's sound and smoke unit is the Lionel Horseshoe curve Berkshire(it's a semi scale). Check it out if you able .
. In another thread I promised to post picture and video and folks on this forum have given me great advise BUT my daughter promised to help me do all this and she has been busy with Junior Prom and volleyball Tournaments and yesterday she said she hasn't forgotten. BUT as soon as we get it going I'll post something on the steamer as well as the GP-30.

What I do like are the fan driven units on the G-Scale GP-38 I picked up when I was down in Florida. On the Ventral(bottom) side are on-off switches. Some years ago I picked up a RS-3 that had smoke capacity with an on-off switch. What I did was use Chistmas Tree scented smoke  as we use the G-Scale for around the Christmas tree during the Holidays. It's a nice feature that happened to come with the locomotive which I was unaware of until i had it home and read the instruction book.

BUT I don't think WBB needs to have it if it jacks up the price.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: M1FredQ on May 14, 2013, 03:06:02 PM
In another thread I promised to post picture and video and folks on this forum have given me great advise BUT my daughter promised to help me do all this and she has been busy with Junior Prom and volleyball Tournaments and yesterday she said she hasn't forgotten. BUT as soon as we get it going I'll post something on the steamer as well as the GP-30.
I know you would rather spend time with your daughter, but she may be "pulling away" for a bit more personal time at that age (sorry, those wings have to be tested someday). If you decide to relieve her of that "burden", I would gladly try to help you with the online pics bit, in private messages if preferred of course. Just holler. Besides there are lots of other computer issues, real or imagined, you could ask for help with in order to get some "quality time" evenings in.  (Hey did you ever play around with the semi-GG1 to see if the 027 mod. would work out for yours? Curiosity is just killing me.)

M1FredQ

Thanks GG-1

Your right her schedule is such where I literally see her mere moments at a time early morning or later evening when she gets home from a Volleyball Tournament or practice then she stays up later to study for school.

Sorry I didn't get back I did the modification with my Dremel and the GG1 is doing OK a couple of "hiccups" but very rare.

It's looking good on the track again. Next is the "Joe S" plan to make the lights brighter. I hope to tackle it over the Memorial Day weekend

Thanks GG-1 I will be in touch. I would love to start posting some pictures or video of Joey and some of the other kids enjoying the Trains!!!

Joe Satnik

To those that may be new to this,

a bit of caution, here.

Only single motored locos (steamers) need the Voltage dropping Diodes and/or Diode bridges. 

Dual motor locos (Diesels and electrics) can just be wired in series (instead of stock parallel).

No parts to purchase, other than perhaps, an inch of shrink tubing.   

See my reply about 3/4 of the way down the page:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,22060.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.