News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Giving up the Shay?

Started by TimR, May 16, 2013, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimR

Has Bachmann discontinued the On30 Shay?

There is only one model available via Bachmann's new online store. The Spot hasn't offered any in a long time. Micromark isn't listing them. Some other sites have them (at rather high prices in some cases) but say that they are discontinued when sold out. Some on eBay, but not many and again overpriced. Anyway it could just be my imagination but the supply of them seems to be dwindling. Did I miss a memo somewhere along the way?

Chris9017

Train World Online still has a lot and at a steal of $100 a piece.

ebtnut

I suspect that the Shay will be re-issued by Bachmann at some point, probably after they redesign the drive train with new gearing.  Bachmann normally makes new product announcements at the NMRA Train Show, which is coming this summer. 

Hamish K

It has become clear that quite a lot of existing models will be discontinued in the not too distant future. This doesn't only apply to On30. Bachmann appears to be keeping a smaller range of models available at any one time than they used to, probably to reduce overheads and costs in the current economic times. Runs are either shorter or reruns less frequent (probably both). The Shay will no doubt reappear at some time, modified or not. I am sure a reasonable range on On30 will continue to be available, but not necessarily any particular  item.

The bottom line , if there is a currently available item that you want, buy it now!

Hamish

TimR

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I got to thinking the other day when someone was looking for the exploded parts diagram. I thought, man, it's right over on the other part of the website and commenced to giving them a link but when I got there.....it wasn't there! So then I started looking at my usual suppliers to see what they had in stock and was surprised to see rather little availability. Thus my conclusion that perhaps, just perhaps, Bachmann was ceasing production of my beloved (albeit troubled) Shay. And you're right. I should probably get what I want while I can. They have been in production for a while so maybe they have run their course.